Close

Engineer

So I almost set fire at my lab at school.....

I was doing my calibration on my rostock max v2, since it has issue with symetric print. I then launch a calibration print, at first I smell something funny and I didn't mind, I kept working as the printer was just sitting right to me. I was drilling and cutting some wire and then the smell just kept smelling stronger. Unitl I hear burning sound coming from my printer.

Went to have a looked at it, saw plastic on mother board melted and fume was getting more and more stronger.
    Quick!! Emergency stop! Cutting the power on the printer, open the door to ventilate the room with the nasty PVC odor burning.

I mean, seriously, that's what I get for having turning my back for 1 minutes and I am the typical guy that never print without monitoring, since I screwed up couple of times.
    But then .... what would happen if someone careless is NOT physically in the room? You know the "Oh yea, 3D printing is easy, press the button, go shopping/working outside and come home for the finish" mind with the overhype from the media?

The cause of meltdown board? The screw terminal connecting to the motherboard was loose, which results as heating the terminal connector. I guess I will never trust anything with crimp/squishing again, soldering might be annoying but I guess I will have to if I want to go safe all the way.....

Wow, I hope there was Someone else there to Blame it on ! LOL

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    Incidents like this poses a friendly but important reminder to all our 3d professionals who are doing 3d printing, never leave your 3d printers unattended. 3d Printers must be monitored consistently since we are often printing in extreme hot temperatures for hours. We often encountered overheating, melting issues and worst case scenario is fire breakout!

Student
    Which is the reason all these new softwares that allow you to start your jobs by phone are a little dangerous. Get Home to find your house is somewhere in the Clouds