Close

New user configuration questions

I tried my first serious print yesterday. Replicator G. comes preconfigured for ABS printing, I tried cloning my profile "Replicator 2 slicing defaults" and modifying to suit PLA printing. Several problems happened:

1. It is determined to the plate to 110°C before printing the model. I really don't need the plate heated at all, I've done plenty of PLA printing on another printer without heating the plate at all. Even if I do want to heat it, I certainly don't want it that warm, it makes things messy. Where do I go to change or turn off the heated plate setting?? It seems to be really well hidden. I actually tried editing start.gcode to remove the plate heating command, but even that didn't seem to work.

2. Cloning the profile had another problem: it randomly turned on skeinlayer. This problem has been reported for Windows, but it turns out to be a problem on the Mac. Wasted many precious minutes while I sat there waiting for it to proceed, not understanding that it was waiting for me to close skeinlayer !! )):

3. The cloned profile, when put to use, actually printed nothing! It set up the printer, heated things,, move things around, and then quit without making 1 cubic millimeter of anything. I had made some changes. I turned off Raft, because it was a large object with a big flat base and I saw no need for any raft for any reason. Or support. Is this fatal? Does this module have to be turned on, no matter what?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    don't use rep g.

either use makerware or buy simplify 3d.
    makerware download thread: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...8702#post68702

You'll find that makerware slices much faster than rep-g and gives better results all round. If it wasn't for the bloody resetting some of the settings every time you look away from the screen it'd be really really good :-)
    My other gripe is that once yuou've created a custo profile - it can't be tweaked. That's annoying.
    But rep-g is just massively out of date and cumbersome by comparison.

I'd recommend simplify 3d - but makerwware will do the job acceptably.