Close

Newbie trying to set up delta printer

I recently bought and assembled a delta kit. I am trying to set it up so the z height is close to where it should be - in other words, 0 = 0. At first when I check M114 after homing, it returns Z:545.40. I lowered the print head manually, and when it is about 1mm from the print surface, M114 reads Z:255.40.

I pulled up the firmware, and #define MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS 295.4 is what is showing. I subtract the 255.4 from this and enter MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS 40 and upload it.

Now at home, M114 reads Z:290.0. This is the distance from home to the print surface, so I think I am good. The problem is, now when I lower the print head, it will not go below Z:250.00. It just stops and will not let me manually lower it any further.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

At first glance I'm not 100% on what is wrong, but I'm pretty confident that your MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS should be ~290, not 40.

Just to be sure, you're doing a G28 before any of your movement commands right? Without homing all the axis before hand then your printer is going to be all sorts of confused.

Also, I would highly recommend you upload RC Marlin, which is a modified version of Marlin that allows EEPROM changes without having to recompile and reuploading. It's really nice. Also, if you have a Z-Endstop, RC Marlin has a pretty great auto-calibration tool (G30).
    Last edited by LuckyImperial; 09-16-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonharri View Post

Now at home, M114 reads Z:290.0. This is the distance from home to the print surface, so I think I am good. The problem is, now when I lower the print head, it will not go below Z:250.00. It just stops and will not let me manually lower it any further.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
    My bet is you have these turned on...

#define min_software_endstops false // If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
    #define max_software_endstops false // If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.

That worked. Thanks Roxy!

Now there is a new problem. When I home the printer, the print head gets about half way and then Y and Z stop and X continues. I have to kill the power and move the print head close to home. Then I can restart and home the printer without it crashing. Any idea what I need to do now?