Close

very small request for you all

2 years ago the audio jack for my laptop broke. It was really just a piece of plastic that held the audio input in, so it still works, but now I have to have a separate USB plug in to use audio stuff. It really sucks.

I got an idea this morning, since only God knows where that piece of plastic chipped off is, what if I could 3-D print the small bit of plastic?

My school has a 3-D printer, so I could print it myself, I just would like someone to actually design it for me. It's very small, so it shouldn't be that hard.

I don't need a piece that perfectly fits into the broken part, just something that would hold it in place. I have some pictures to visualize it:

Photo Sep 15, 8 59 55 AM.jpg

Photo Sep 15, 9 00 13 AM.jpg

Photo Sep 15, 9 00 34 AM.jpg

Photo Sep 15, 9 00 53 AM.jpg

Right now I do not have the measurements because I haven't had a chance to measure iti. Once I get the chance I will though. I plan to take apart my computer and take it out for exact measurements. All I need is something to cover the broken part to make it complete it a full circle, you know?

I know this isn't enough info to work off of, but I will post more soon (measurements and stuff).

I'm sure this is possible, but I just want to know if someone is willing to help me with this.

Thanks for reading and have a good day.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I see (at least) one problem with this request. If I'm trying to print a circular object, especially small openings like this, there is some amount of shrinkage the ABS I sue goes through, so It may take 2-4 tries before a part fits correctly. Others using other systems may not have this issue. I also have issue printing things that small. Want a bigger enclosure with that jack in it? Sure, but just that ring would be an issue for me. Again, others with better equipment may have better results.

My first inclination would be to open up the lap and see exactly what type of jack it is. I'm assuming it's a 3.5mm jack. Look on ebay for the identical part, buy that, and replace it. It shouldn't cost more than a buck or two. But, you'll need to be able to solder to do it. That's the way I would attempt this.

My second approach would be to fashion a new ring by getting a piece of plastic as thick as the broken edge is deep. Drill a hole the size of the jack , and then cut it out so it's just slightly bigger than the part to fix. Then with a hobby knife, slowly shave off tiny pieces until it fits correctly. Then use a good plastics glue or epoxy to secure it in place.

My third approach would to use hot glue. Put a small bead on the broken part, and then trim it back until you get the fit you want. Downside is if you get glue into the opening, may cause problems trying to get it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    I see (at least) one problem with this request. If I'm trying to print a circular object, especially small openings like this, there is some amount of shrinkage the ABS I sue goes through, so It may take 2-4 tries before a part fits correctly. Others using other systems may not have this issue. I also have issue printing things that small. Want a bigger enclosure with that jack in it? Sure, but just that ring would be an issue for me. Again, others with better equipment may have better results.

My first inclination would be to open up the lap and see exactly what type of jack it is. I'm assuming it's a 3.5mm jack. Look on ebay for the identical part, buy that, and replace it. It shouldn't cost more than a buck or two. But, you'll need to be able to solder to do it. That's the way I would attempt this.

My second approach would be to fashion a new ring by getting a piece of plastic as thick as the broken edge is deep. Drill a hole the size of the jack , and then cut it out so it's just slightly bigger than the part to fix. Then with a hobby knife, slowly shave off tiny pieces until it fits correctly. Then use a good plastics glue or epoxy to secure it in place.

My third approach would to use hot glue. Put a small bead on the broken part, and then trim it back until you get the fit you want. Downside is if you get glue into the opening, may cause problems trying to get it out.
    i can print it out, my school has a printer.

Yeah I can order a part, would the part to be to actually replace it or just to see how big the printed object should be?

the other 2 options im not too interested in, thanks for replying

keeping in mind this is only my second post on this forum and the very first was also asking for help just a few minutes ago...

why not get some clay and press it in to mold the exact shape you need. then remove it, let it dry and scan it in and 3d print that??

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Well, personally I wouldn't bother. I feel you are over thinking this and trying to tap dance in hunting boots. 3D printing is simply the wrong tool for the job.

Go to Home Depot or other hardware store and buy this (or similar):

You can repair the part very easily. After the repair, you can paint it to match the surrounding (apparently black).

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Well, personally I wouldn't bother. I feel you are over thinking this and trying to tap dance in hunting boots. 3D printing is simply the wrong tool for the job.
    Three posts with that same answer, and he doesn't like it.

And JB weld does come in black. I use it every now and then. But don't use it in extremely low pH (acidic <2) environments. It doesn't hold up more than a week, trust me.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Didn't know they had black. Never seen it on the shelf. Never looked though