Close

Engineer

Stratasys Could be Purchased By Epson or HP

Here is a Bloomberg article making the case for the acquisition of Stratasys by one of the printing industry's top dogs, Hewlett Package or Epson. Bloomberg estimates that it would take about a 25% premium over the share price to convince stockholders of SSYS, which would be about $151 a share, or over 7.5 billion.

Opinion?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...-real-m-a.html

The article goes on to say that it will be difficult for the big printing companies to catch up to the likes of Stratasys and 3D Systems because of patents and years of R&D.

I think HP has already been working on 3D printing for a while. They will probably stay away from any acquisitions. As for Epson, I just don't see it with them either.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RepRapOwner View Post
    I think HP has already been working on 3D printing for a while. They will probably stay away from any acquisitions. As for Epson, I just don't see it with them either.
    Yes, but I believe HP's previous 3D printers used Stratasys tech, so they may be interested in building on that, and buying Stratasys would be a way to go about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Compro01 View Post
    Yes, but I believe HP's previous 3D printers used Stratasys tech, so they may be interested in building on that, and buying Stratasys would be a way to go about that.
    Oh, wow, I was unaware of that. I just think it would cost way too much money to buy out Stratasys. Keep in mind they also own MakerBot.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Accuracy View Post
    Good evening Compro01,

I read somewhere that HP didn't use Stratasys tech, Stratasys actually made the 3D Printers for HP.

Have a terrific weekend!
    Robert
    3D Accuracy
    http://www.3d-accuracy.com/blog/
    Yes. They were Stratasys printers.

I personally think Stratasys is too big of a company for HP or Epson to consider acquiring. Who knows though. Are there really any benefits for Stratasys to sell itself?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AbracadabraMan View Post
    I personally think Stratasys is too big of a company for HP or Epson to consider acquiring. Who knows though. Are there really any benefits for Stratasys to sell itself?
    Even post-Objet, Stratasys isn't that big in the scheme of things. They have a market cap of "only" $3 billion. HP makes half again that much in annual profits. It wouldn't exactly be a massive strain for HP to buy Stratasys.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Compro01 View Post
    Even post-Objet, Stratasys isn't that big in the scheme of things. They have a market cap of "only" $3 billion. HP makes half again that much in annual profits. It wouldn't exactly be a massive strain for HP to buy Stratasys.
    Plus it wouldn't have to be an all cash deal on HP's part. They could acquire them for stock, meaning it would be more of a merger with HP remaining the father company. $3 billion is nothing for HP. Whether its worth it for them or not is another story. I do feel that the combined company would be worth more than the 2 separate as they can use the HP name brand recognition to sell even more 3D printers.