Close

Follow lucidpsykosis On Twitter Add lucidpsykosis on Thingiverse

Dreamer - Kapton tape around heating element

I accidentally tore the yellow tape with the white fiber thats wrapped around the extruder heating element...how do I fix this, or is it really not necessary?

extruder-assembly_1.jpg

Follow lucidpsykosis On Twitter Add lucidpsykosis on Thingiverse
    Okay...no responses. I'll try this then. I've looked all over here and the net, but couldn't find an answer, so how does one remove the heater block without breaking the wires? I can get the tube out that heats the extruder, but I can't get the other one out (the one with the nut). I figure if the other heating block on my dual extruder is still pristine, I could change them out. Any ideas? I'd rather not have to pay $135 for a whole new set if I don't have to...thank you for any responses

Technician
    hi,

you will have to give people some time as not everyone is on here everyday, as you only left a day inbetween your 2 comments, i would suggest you leave it a week. you may also find that people have looked but dont have any specfic info or help or simply cannot add to anything there type rubbish <<< see last few lines lol

ok so to answer the question, afaik there is no issue with tearing that kapton tape, i have not done it myself but cant see it being a major issue. also that white fluffy cotton wool like stuff anit gonna stay white for long, it will eventually go black after lots of uses, if you are worried you can buy kapton tape on ebay, amazon where ever just google "kapton tape" that will surely bring up some retailers, then just patch it up (dont remove whats there, just add to it).

im sure if my advice is wrong, Geoff or curious aardvark will be along to add to this, there are the geniuses when it comes to makerbots and there clones.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    hi,

you will have to give people some time as not everyone is on here everyday, as you only left a day inbetween your 2 comments, i would suggest you leave it a week. you may also find that people have looked but dont have any specfic info or help or simply cannot add to anything there type rubbish <<< see last few lines lol

ok so to answer the question, afaik there is no issue with tearing that kapton tape, i have not done it myself but cant see it being a major issue. also that white fluffy cotton wool like stuff anit gonna stay white for long, it will eventually go black after lots of uses, if you are worried you can buy kapton tape on ebay, amazon where ever just google "kapton tape" that will surely bring up some retailers, then just patch it up (dont remove whats there, just add to it).

im sure if my advice is wrong, Geoff or curious aardvark will be along to add to this, there are the geniuses when it comes to makerbots and there clones.
    Hi ,
    I believe the tape protects a ceramic coating around the block, I have also torn mine much worse than you have!
    I guess it helps to keep temperatures stable by keeping the block from losing radiant heat and getting cooled by drafts and fans?
    Cheers
    Anthony

Our CTC had same type tape on blocks and when it got damaged I just took it off.
    Does not seem to effect heat-up time much, if any .