Close

College Major and 3D Printing?

Hello everyone, I am looking to get a career in 3D printing as it looks like the industry is and will be doing fairly well. I want to know what college major I should be studying to get a job in 3D printing. I would like to be the one that makes the design in the software and knows how to have it printed in 3D. Any ideas? Any employers or anyone know what the best option would be to get a job in this field?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Design. Graphic design - something along those lines.

Pretty much every aspect of 3d printing wil be covered on a design course. And remember 90% of a 3d print is a good cad model.

In the next few years the vast majority of prototypes, or one off designs will be 3d printed.

Try and find a college that's invested in industrial sintering machines rather than just the fff desktop jobs. You can buy one of those yourself. The tiko is less than $200 - even a student can afford that :-)
    It's good to learn how to design for both types of printer - but with the powder sintering ones - there are no shape or overhang limitations :-)

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    You can have Graphic Design, Industrial Design or Additive Manufacturing. Look for a university that offers that course or at least related to that.