Close

large foot-print jobs curling and coming unstuck

Hi All
    Being relatively inexperienced, we are finding prints with large footprints are curling at the edges on both Z18 and Replicators, any tips. Extruder is @ 215c.

Cheers
    Paul

Technician
    Hi there
    Print large prints on Raft. This helps with adhesion and prevent warping.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep and as you don't have a heated bed - raft is a good idea.

The other way to go is use pet tape and thick layer of gluestick.

Not sure how you'd get the prints off the buildplate though. I usually heat my plate up so I can get a scraper under to lever.
    Without a heated build plate some of my larger prints would robably still be stuck to the plate :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Herbert View Post
    Hi All
    Being relatively inexperienced, we are finding prints with large footprints are curling at the edges on both Z18 and Replicators, any tips. Extruder is @ 215c.

Cheers
    Paul
    We are using rafts, printing the same file on both z18 and replicator with the same result on both heated and u heated platforms

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Herbert View Post
    We are using rafts, printing the same file on both z18 and replicator with the same result on both heated and u heated platforms
    Would relatively low humidity be an issue, 40% and under?

Heat is the issue.. as the plastics cool they contract, which makes them peel up. You just need something with stronger adhesion. PET tape + gluestick has been a popular choice, but it's hit/miss for some people.

Another option is a product called wolfbite nano from airwolf 3d.. it's relatively expensive compared to home brew solutions, but it does work extremely well for PLA.. a little will last you quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by k2kyo View Post
    Heat is the issue.. as the plastics cool they contract, which makes them peel up. You just need something with stronger adhesion. PET tape + gluestick has been a popular choice, but it's hit/miss for some people.

Another option is a product called wolfbite nano from airwolf 3d.. it's relatively expensive compared to home brew solutions, but it does work extremely well for PLA.. a little will last you quite a while.
    Thank you will give that a try, we are struggling to maintain ambient above 17degC I suspect this might be a cause.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    IT does depend what you are printing with.
    My workshop temp is rarely above 18c in winter.
    At the moment it's 20 and 57% humidity - which is pretty high it's usually between 40-50%

Excess humidity is supposed to effect pla - I've never noticed it and the stuff I use a lot doesn't get stored in bags anymore.

Another thing that might be occuring is the auto calibration might be leaving too large a gap.
    Is that adjustable at all ?

Helper disks. I use them on the edges of my flat prints they really help. Used to be part of the Examples but now I grab them from Thingiverse and add one to each corner in the Makerware before hitting export.