Close

airwolf HD extruder clicking

I have an airwolf HD printer. the extruder keeps clicking while trying to extrude chipping away at the filament and giving inconsistent extrusion. I have completely cleaned the nozzle and have also taken the extruder apart and cleaned the bolt from all the filament particles. it does this even by just extruding with the bed far away and it's always in intervals. I have no idea why it keeps doing it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohms View Post
    I have an airwolf HD printer. the extruder keeps clicking while trying to extrude chipping away at the filament and giving inconsistent extrusion. I have completely cleaned the nozzle and have also taken the extruder apart and cleaned the bolt from all the filament particles. it does this even by just extruding with the bed far away and it's always in intervals. I have no idea why it keeps doing it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Make sure your filamament spool is freely able to pull the filament with no resistance.

Level the bed then rerun the program to double check. Make sure the test rectangle pattern has even width lines all of the way around.

Pull the teflon tube at the hot end and use something to push the left over material out of the nozzle. I use long Q-tips with the wood stick. i break off one of the cotton ends and use it to push the filament out (make sure hot end is warmed up to the correct temp for the last filament used). I normally do this between each job. Avoid using metal or something that will damage the hot end.

Also make sure you are using a decent quality material and that the filament width is consistent by measuring with a set of calipers.

Normally once you get the first layer out of the way you should not have too much clicking if all of the above is performed. if you have a dirty nozzle soak in acetate if plugged with ABS. Use a butane torch and heat up the nozzle if PLA and wait until the plug pops out. Just do not over heat it or you may deform the nozzle. Scrape off any material left on the outside of the nozzle and hot end with a razor blade.

Also try turning up your heat another 5° see if it helps by making sure your material is flowing well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. Turned out to be an easy fix. the extruder springs must have been damaged because I simply replaced them and the problem went away. Thanks