Close

Prusa i3v Y-Axis Issue

Hi,
    I have a Makerfarm Prusa i3v that works wonderfully and hasn't given me any problems until just recently. My printer starts and works fine (before I begin running a print), but once I start a print the y-axis stops moving and will not start even after the print is cancelled. It happened once before but I restarted the printer and came back a few hours later only to find it running smoothly again, but now it's begun to act up and I can't figure out the reason why. Hope you can help.

Thanks,
    Bia

If I were you I would inspect the y axis motor harness from board to the motor for chaffing. Then the solders at the extremities then perhaps check wire continuity.

Looks like it was just a bad driver on the y-axis. Probably because it overheated since I had no heat sink on.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    What electronics suite did you get with the i3v? On RAMPS and RUMBA, you can swap the stepper motor drivers around and see if the problem stays with the Y-axis or moves with the driver board. That would help answer whether you have something wrong in the y-axis (motor, wiring, bearings, etc.) or with the stepper driver. Many people add cooling airflow to the i3v for the electronics to help ensure the stepper drivers don't overheat.