Close

Warranty Replacement, New Printer Makes Messes

I have a new PowerSpec 3D Pro (basically a Micro Center rebadged FlashForge Creator Pro). I am using these profiles in ReplicatorG which worked absolutely fine on the old printer. I'm using Inland PLA, white, from Micro Center. It also worked fine with the old printer.

The first unit worked wonderfully until its motors both died.

The replacement is doing the exact opposite. I've gotten two prints out of it so far. Everything else fails like this.
    IMAG0095.jpg
    The raft comes unstuck, something catches, and the extruder gets buried in a mound of plastic that it drags around the print bed until I see it and stop it.

Things I've tried:
    • Switch to 0.2mm layers instead of 0.1mm--that can be finicky and I get it. Problem recurs anyway.
    • Flush the extruder by dialing its temp up, then forcing filament through. I did see that the filament thickened (roughly double) after some time, but the problem recurs anyway.
    • Replace the Kapton tape with blue painters' tape. Messed up the tape on my original and had to replace, worked flawlessly. Didn't help.
    • Wipe down the painter's tape with alcohol before printing. No dice.
    • Level the bed to "paper moves, with resistance" and "paper thickness, moves without resistance." Both produced the same gobs of failure.
    • Tried different bed heat settings--off, 50C, 55C, and 60C.
    • Tried different extrusion temperatures--192, 195, 200C.
    • Made sure the extruder was super clean since it amasses quite a bit of gunk from all these failures. The raft still comes unstuck and another wad builds up.

The raft seems spotty, thin, spidery, even with 0.2mm. And at some point, the hot end goes near it passing over again, it catches, and the ball of doom begins...

Are your hot ends aligned? could one be lower than the other and dragging across the print maybe?

It is catching on the active hot end, not the cold/unused one.

I also tried a 20mm x 10mm test box sliced with "Replicator defaults."

It appears the profiles are at fault as the box extruded way too much plastic (which is exactly what the original printer did).

So I can conclude that the nozzles aren't clogged. Now to figure out what the heck is going on with these profiles...

EDIT: The old printer definitely had better motors by a league and a half. Could spit out plastic at 120 feed, 120 flow, 180 travel.

EDIT2: Something is still off--even with the lowered settings I get a messy raft that can't be used for anything.
    Last edited by Sovereign; 08-20-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Why do you have a raft in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Why do you have a raft in the first place?
    The piece was going to need support anyway--doesn't that require a raft?

For future Googlers, the answer was to move the bed closer to the nozzles. That stopped the peeling.

Now if I could get ReplicatorG to stop freezing on every STL file I feed it (including its own examples)...