Close

Page 337 of 411 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347387 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,370 of 4110
    Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon 3D View Post
    I had that happen before too. What I did was thread the filament back in but not using the big tube. I heated up the extruder, clicked load filament and the slowly pushed the new filament in. It moved the broken piece down and then I let it keep loading filament for a bit. Then I unloaded it and all was good.
    Many folks use that same technique to swap filament. Hope you didn't damage anything with the drill bit action.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I attended a Maker Fair in Silver Spring Maryland earlier today. I've never been to one before. It was primarily oriented toward exciting the interests of children in STEM, but there were over a dozen 3D printers there. About half were MakerBot variants, the remainder were Kossel Rep Rap, Prusa I3 or similar, Taz, Afinia, Tarantula, and several scratch built machines. Most were printing away. Saw some PETG prints, that material appeared very similar to, but a lot more flexible than MG Crystal PLA. And about a thousand kids with little robots or grippers or airplanes etc. I was hoping to find some other 3D printing enthusiasts in or really near Annapolis, but no joy.
    By the way, I did not see any prints from any of the FDM printers there that looked superior to what we are getting from the QiDi.

Technician
    Honestly, I don't see how I could have messed anything up with the drill bit action (I've since opened things up) but after I'd pulled the bit of filament by (but not in) the gears I still can't get anything through.

2016-09-26 19.18.41.jpg

Even if I'd done something fairly catastrophic with the drill bit, I'm still not getting through that tube and down to the gears. So there had to be more to it than that.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Merijeek View Post
    Honestly, I don't see how I could have messed anything up with the drill bit action (I've since opened things up) but after I'd pulled the bit of filament by (but not in) the gears I still can't get anything through.

2016-09-26 19.18.41.jpg

Even if I'd done something fairly catastrophic with the drill bit, I'm still not getting through that tube and down to the gears. So there had to be more to it than that.
    So it appears that the location of the jam is above the feed gear mechanism, and in the filament feeder tube leading from the top surface of the extruder carriage release lever going down toward the feed gear. If that's correct then turning on the heating cartridge and feeding filament in isn't going to do anything for you. I've not had this sort of jam happen to me before. IMO, using a drill bit seems appropriate, but I would be very careful about using one that was too large and inadvertently opening up that feed path too much. Given that you've already tried the drill bit, I would also consider heating it some with a hair dryer to get the jammed filament to soften a bit and hopefully release, possibly trying to "simply" push it back down toward the feed gear.

If you have questions about getting access to the mechanism, here are some relevant videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd9vnltm8Jg Shows removing the extruder
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hWUJBXCMH4 Shows disassembling the extruder carriage
    Last edited by DaveB; 09-27-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Technician
    Got it all taken apart. Looks like QIDI is going to be generous on a replacement part. We'll see.

That's higher than the jam I had.. At least their service is top notch.
    They replaced my extruders when they were toast after the first print. Been running like a champ ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Merijeek View Post

2016-09-26 19.18.41.jpg

Editor in Chief
    Bitsonline

Tips Appreciated But Not Expected
    BTC: 16wxHvKd3oU6SVjv6FrenqhkvRmc8t7sPy
    DASH: XqyaWxH896j9YeV1M35Gzb5gmRPmPbNDGq

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    In time you should or will learn to never use the unload option on the front panel. It is a recipe for jamming up the hot end. Use an "exit only" strategy for the hot end and you will have many fewer problems. If you ever want to "unload", use the heat and pull method after releasing the extruder tension. You want to pull the filament out fast enough where the molten filament comes out quickly and not harden higher up in the cold zone where it will never be able to be melted the next time the hot end is heated.

That's higher than the jam I had.. At least their service is top notch.
    They replaced my extruders when they were toast after the first print. Been running like a champ ever since.

Engineer
    That is cool with me. I am still learning.
    The Simplify 3D dual extrusion wizard helped so much. I did not have to mess around like I did in Makerware.
    Everyone said get S3D and I would not be disappointed. I am definitely loving it. It has everything you need and more with great support.
    I am wanting to dual print something else but until I get my dragon ready I will have to find another dual model that I like. Lucky my daughter likes tree frogs or I would not have printed this.

Here is another two color object. There is some actual utility, so use some colors that your SO will appreciate. Much simpler print than the Tree Frog, but it had its own set of challenges.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1350796

I always use the unload and load panel options.
    Back in the other response I did to his problem of a jam.
    When I got a jam happened I preheated the hot end, took off the long tube and then used the load option and carefully fed in the filament until it cleared the clog. I also used the part on the extruder to press down and release the filament and slid it in until it hit the clog. Then I let it go and the end cleared the clog and extruded correctly. I let it go for a foot or two and then stopped and unloaded using the panel. I dont force it and I let the unload push back up and gently pull on the filament to bring it all out. I use the lever to take tension off if it is sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    In time you should or will learn to never use the unload option on the front panel. It is a recipe for jamming up the hot end. Use an "exit only" strategy for the hot end and you will have many fewer problems. If you ever want to "unload", use the heat and pull method after releasing the extruder tension. You want to pull the filament out fast enough where the molten filament comes out quickly and not harden higher up in the cold zone where it will never be able to be melted the next time the hot end is heated.
    Editor in Chief
    Bitsonline

That is cool and interesting. I will play around with it.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Here is another two color object. There is some actual utility, so use some colors that your SO will appreciate. Much simpler print than the Tree Frog, but it had its own set of challenges.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1350796
    Editor in Chief
    Bitsonline

Page 337 of 411 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347387 ... LastLast