Close

Page 112 of 411 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 4110
    Technologist
    Add KludgeGuru on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    LOL. Naw, it was nothing personal and I have been very respectful to them but they obviously can't handle something. I know they never replied to me for almost a week until I called them and they had to admit they couldn't open the files I sent because they do not have any cad programs to open them with. I was scratching my head on that one after reading their website. Oh, well I will contact that place you mentioned and I hope they do Tool plate as normal aluminum will not work.
    That place was just a quick google search, I've never actually used them.

We have used this place. They allow you to upload CAD files without a drawing.
    https://rapidmanufacturing.com/rapid-machining/

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by KludgeGuru View Post
    Simplify3D also has a troubleshooting guide
    https://www.simplify3d.com/support/p...oubleshooting/
    Wow..

Read through those tips then search this forum for those problems. It's almost verbatim. Looks like S3D use this forum for its info yet stay silent on it. :/
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    LOL. Naw, it was nothing personal and I have been very respectful to them but they obviously can't handle something. I know they never replied to me for almost a week until I called them and they had to admit they couldn't open the files I sent because they do not have any cad programs to open them with. I was scratching my head on that one after reading their website. Oh, well I will contact that place you mentioned and I hope they do Tool plate as normal aluminum will not work.
    A 1 off isn't going to be cheap, even a flat plate with holes. Miight be able to try designing it on emachineshop.com. They will price 1 copy, but it won't be cheap either way.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    A 1 off isn't going to be cheap, even a flat plate with holes. Miight be able to try designing it on emachineshop.com. They will price 1 copy, but it won't be cheap either way.

Ok, on Emachine shop I was able to draw this up real quick and get live pricing. It came to 73$ shipped ups ground. Here is the kicker that was just with the 4 holes drilled. It adds $100 to countersink them and the total is $173. So if you can countersink your own holes with a drill and 90degree chamfer bit then it wouldn't be too bad. If you get 4 plates with just holes drilled the price goes down to 33$ each, again you'd have to countersink your own holes.

Student
    That is awesome man! I have to ask you though, did you get the QIDI before you got the makerbot replicator 2X or after? Reason I ask is if the Makerbot is junk, the QIDI was an exact copy, why would you risk it? I did a lot of research before I purchased. I was on the fence before I saw this and the price point I just couldn't pass up! Have you done any upgrades to your printer? What software are you using for design? I've been experimenting with Fusion 360, SketchUp 2016, and Blender. I need easy for novice. I want to learn design. My problem now is, i'm able to muddle my way to make something, then when I check it, there is always a problem like Self intersection surfaces or Non Manifold edges. I don't know what I'm doing wrong when I make my designs. They are very simple shapes with push pull and holes but always issues???

Quote Originally Posted by KludgeGuru View Post
    The goal at work is to have a printer that can print exotic materials such as Tungsten and Bismuth loaded filament.. We already have 3 Stratasys uPrint SE Plus printers which are our work horses but material wise they don't have many options. We have a Makerbot Replicator 2X at work but it is just a piece of junk, I've spent 3 weeks trying to get it to print correctly and I'm still having problems. So I've given up on the Makebot and going to try the Qidi which I've been very happy with at home.

On a side note we have many Mechanical engineers at work that utilize the Stratasys printers, but I'm very proud of having the record for the longest printing project. I designed some test boxes which took 2 printers 5 weeks to complete with near constant printing. My project was the reason we purchased the 3rd printer.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by svt04cobra View Post
    That is awesome man! I have to ask you though, did you get the QIDI before you got the makerbot replicator 2X or after? Reason I ask is if the Makerbot is junk, the QIDI was an exact copy, why would you risk it? I did a lot of research before I purchased. I was on the fence before I saw this and the price point I just couldn't pass up! Have you done any upgrades to your printer? What software are you using for design? I've been experimenting with Fusion 360, SketchUp 2016, and Blender. I need easy for novice. I want to learn design. My problem now is, i'm able to muddle my way to make something, then when I check it, there is always a problem like Self intersection surfaces or Non Manifold edges. I don't know what I'm doing wrong when I make my designs. They are very simple shapes with push pull and holes but always issues???
    I would suggest Blender.
    i have used ALOT of different CAD/rendering software....SketchUp, 3DMax, Maya, just about everything made by Autodesk...
    Blender is by far the MOST bang for your buck...since its FREE! Not only that but its an easy(ish) to use software suite. There are a HUGE number of online tutorial type resources, and a near endless number of plugins to extend its functionality.
    It also has the simplest most streamlined UV wrap/unwrap workflow of any software I have ever used. This is not directly helpful for 3D printing, but is VERY important if you ever decide to couple a vinyl cutter with your printer.

As for learning the software check out Blender Cookie, its huge online tutorial depository.

edit:
    By the way, just ordered some of that new FDA food safe and dishwasher safe PLA from MakerGeeks, should be here today or tomorrow if anyone is curious about it.

Super Moderator
    Ug Blender? lol Powerful tool, horrid interface.

If you want to do any real CAD you have to get away from Blender or Maya type programs.

Fusion 360 is really good and their sculpting tools are awesome as well. Onshape would have been good, but their pricing model isn't as competitive as Fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
    I would suggest Blender.
    i have used ALOT of different CAD/rendering software....SketchUp, 3DMax, Maya, just about everything made by Autodesk...
    Blender is by far the MOST bang for your buck...since its FREE! Not only that but its an easy(ish) to use software suite. There are a HUGE number of online tutorial type resources, and a near endless number of plugins to extend its functionality.
    It also has the simplest most streamlined UV wrap/unwrap workflow of any software I have ever used. This is not directly helpful for 3D printing, but is VERY important if you ever decide to couple a vinyl cutter with your printer.

As for learning the software check out Blender Cookie, its huge online tutorial depository.

edit:
    By the way, just ordered some of that new FDA food safe and dishwasher safe PLA from MakerGeeks, should be here today or tomorrow if anyone is curious about it.

Ok, on Emachine shop I was able to draw this up real quick and get live pricing. It came to 73$ shipped ups ground. Here is the kicker that was just with the 4 holes drilled. It adds $100 to countersink them and the total is $173. So if you can countersink your own holes with a drill and 90degree chamfer bit then it wouldn't be too bad. If you get 4 plates with just holes drilled the price goes down to 33$ each, again you'd have to countersink your own holes.
    I have no way to do that so I might as well buy another printer.

Super Moderator
    No way to do what? Do you have a drill? A counter sink bit is 10-15 bucks. You don't have to have a $20000 mill to countersink a few holes.

No way to do what? Do you have a drill? A counter sink bit is 10-15 bucks. You don't have to have a $20000 mill to countersink a few holes.
    I don't do straight. I can't cut straight and I can't drill straight so I would need a DP.

250 dollars was my quote for about 15 days to my house from rapidmanufacturing.com This tells me exactly what I wanted to know and time to disassemble the i3 and box it up and buy a new printer.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

edit: I just submitted the actual step file to emachine to see what they quote but they wanted everything in inches (typical USA shop) so 219mm = 8.62205 in and that is what they got 8.62205x8.62205x.25
    Last edited by DarkAlchemist; 04-21-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Page 112 of 411 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast