Quote Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
I switched my PLA roll to the right and printed a part and it worked after about 4 failures. Anyway, now I put some ABS on the left side and setup the Makerbot Desktop software to print with JUST the left side (including the rafts and supports). The annoying part is that it still heats up both extruders which causes some PLA to come out of the right during printing and the motion of the head going back and forth drags this PLA nobbind messes up the first few layers of the print. It's so annoying that they don't make it easy for you to use the left extruder. It's like they want you to use the right for everything.
Quote Originally Posted by mtnride View Post
If you're willing to edit the g-code, using the left extruder only is pretty easy in Slic3r. Just got the printer today. 3rd print is already looking pretty good (PLA).

Homing the axes is to reset the zero position of the stepper motors.

IMG_4658.jpgIMG_4659.jpgIMG_4660.jpg
So how do you use just the left extruder? I found some modified gcode online that was supposed to rectify this, but I'm still having the issue!

Like sygyzy, I'm using ABS on the left and PLA on the right. After the first or second layer, the PLA extruder starts heating up, causing some of the PLA to melt out over the first few layers.