Close

Page 142 of 411 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 4110
    Student
    I realize the answer will be subjective, but what filament maker do recommend? I am considering an order from makergeek.com as they are a USA manufacturer and charge $24.55 per kg for PLA, ABS, PETG or dissolving filament. They also carry other filament types, although I don't believe they make it.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JimHs1 View Post
    I realize the answer will be subjective, but what filament maker do recommend? I am considering an order from makergeek.com as they are a USA manufacturer and charge $24.55 per kg for PLA, ABS, PETG or dissolving filament. They also carry other filament types, although I don't believe they make it.
    I order all my material from either MakerGeeks.com or Orbpolymer.com
    MakerGeeks has the slightly higher quality material, and better prices most the time, but Orb has awesome sales every so often, and some really awesome colors.

Add cncartist on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by JimHs1 View Post
    Where did you get the dry box filament feed through files?
    http://www.thingiverse.com/make:215673

Click through to the source. I'll go ahead and find out what size drill bit (15/64") I used to make the 6mm PTFE countersink feed holes since they are too small for 6mm tubes in the original design print.

I also made some caps to fit the open filament feed holes since I wasn't comfortable with using a "dry box" that has 3 of the 4 holes open at most times.

So far I can't truly comment on good filament makers, although whatever QIDI provides is a little better than hatchbox I have found (ABS). I haven't had a problem with either, but the hatchbox leaves more stringers; maybe it needs a different temp than 230c.
    Last edited by cncartist; 05-08-2016 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added bit size

Student

New guy here, sorry more of the same questions

Hello Qidi group. New guy here. Coming from SF Calif. Thanks for the great tips and tricks. I recently got my Qidi on 5/02. From the posts I believe I have the newest version, it has the (3rd turbo? fan) on the left side.
    Question-1: Does it matter on what side to load PLA vs ABS? Does the turbo fan work better with PLA or ABS? Question-2: I've read that glass is preferred, but 1/8 vs 1/4 and from where? Thanks in advanced to all of the folks on this thread. Cheers, Pierre.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by pstephana View Post
    Hello Qidi group. New guy here. Coming from SF Calif. Thanks for the great tips and tricks. I recently got my Qidi on 5/02. From the posts I believe I have the newest version, it has the (3rd turbo? fan) on the left side.
    Question-1: Does it matter on what side to load PLA vs ABS? Does the turbo fan work better with PLA or ABS? Question-2: I've read that glass is preferred, but 1/8 vs 1/4 and from where? Thanks in advanced to all of the folks on this thread. Cheers, Pierre.
    Answer #1: Not really. If active cooling is gonna make or break the print the load PLA on left side as its closer to the fan. ABS you don't wanna use active cooling so don't matter what side ya run it.
    Answer #2: 1/4 or 1/8 is more a personal pref thing. The 1/4 ya lose more height from build area, but its gonna be more durable to nicks and bumps, no to mention better thermal quality.
    Got all my glass so far from this page http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-bo...glass/=11846mp

Student
    Thanks Syd!

Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
    Answer #1: Not really. If active cooling is gonna make or break the print the load PLA on left side as its closer to the fan. ABS you don't wanna use active cooling so don't matter what side ya run it.
    Answer #2: 1/4 or 1/8 is more a personal pref thing. The 1/4 ya lose more height from build area, but its gonna be more durable to nicks and bumps, no to mention better thermal quality.
    Got all my glass so far from this page http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-bo...glass/=11846mp
    I asked them about my 1/4in boro and they said about 7 dollars shipping and 1 day to get to me. I believe McMaster's is close to me as it has been 1 day for years when I ask them.

Technologist
    Add KludgeGuru on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
    ABS you don't wanna use active cooling so don't matter what side ya run it.
    I disagree with this statement. I use active cooling on ABS all the time and I believe it helps the prints. The Stratasys Uprint machines we have at work also use active cooling and they only print with ABS, so if a $20K machine uses it why shouldn't we?

Quote Originally Posted by KludgeGuru View Post
    I disagree with this statement. I use active cooling on ABS all the time and I believe it helps the prints. The Stratasys Uprint machines we have at work also use active cooling and they only print with ABS, so if a $20K machine uses it why shouldn't we?
    Know why you disagree? Because you are correct and so are they under different circumstances, but with active cooling on with an enclosed chamber it is nice with ABS but active cooling with an open machine is horrible. One is blowing cool air and the other warmer air but one is way colder than the ABS and the other is just lower. I always thought that a fan on ABS was bad, and it was on my open frame I3, but then I read it is actually a good thing for those with an enclosed frame and even better with an actively heated enclosure.

With our Qidi being mostly enclosed I would say to give it a shot.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlchemist View Post
    With our Qidi being mostly enclosed I would say to give it a shot.
    I have...and for most stuff it seems to create more strings and phantom towers.
    Granted I have never messed with fan speed or such.

The Qidi seems enclosed, but I can assure you this machine has plenty of breathing room. Not on par with an open frame machine I'm sure, but this machine is far from an closed off print area.
    I am planning to use active cooling one my lexan plates get here, but then the machine really will be in a sealed environment.

Gonna take couple months to get my new set up done, but I'll have to snap a shot for yall, its gonna be silly awesome.

Page 142 of 411 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast