Close

Page 205 of 411 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 4110
    Super Moderator
    Filament question: I am going to design and print a bushing for use on my John Deere deck. It is nothing more than a cylinder to go over a post and then an arm goes on that. Just a space filler with minimal movement but can have side loads so crush is a factor (not huge!) and could be exposed to elevated heat levels above ambient air temp. What would you guys recommend I use for a material type? I have PLA & ABS at the moment.

What do you guys think of taulman 618? I came across this: http://www.taulman3d.com/618-features.html

Engineer-in-Training
    Like this

Still running this style gear on my left side.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    Filament question: I am going to design and print a bushing for use on my John Deere deck. It is nothing more than a cylinder to go over a post and then an arm goes on that. Just a space filler with minimal movement but can have side loads so crush is a factor (not huge!) and could be exposed to elevated heat levels above ambient air temp. What would you guys recommend I use for a material type? I have PLA & ABS at the moment.

What do you guys think of taulman 618? I came across this: http://www.taulman3d.com/618-features.html
    ABS should be fine if you print it dense enough.
    Any nylon that is gonna perform better in these regards than ABS is gonna be 2-3 times the cost per gram.

Taulman makes good stuff, but they are overpriced by a good but imo. Nothing but there upper line of nylon will give you better tensile, impact, or crush strength than high-quality ABS. And by time ya get into those grade nylons your paying $50+ USD for 500g spool.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
    ABS should be fine if you print it dense enough.
    Any nylon that is gonna perform better in these regards than ABS is gonna be 2-3 times the cost per gram.

Taulman makes good stuff, but they are overpriced by a good but imo. Nothing but there upper line of nylon will give you better tensile, impact, or crush strength than high-quality ABS. And by time ya get into those grade nylons your paying $50+ USD for 500g spool.
    Sounds great. I think I will give it a go with the ABS that came with the machine.

What brands of PLA or ABS do you guys recommend? I wrote down some of the sources I have seen on here but have to go digging for them now!

Going to order a few more rolls of PLA & ABS as I start to learn!

Like this

Still running this style gear on my left side.
    Mine did not come with that one (luckily as another headache compounded with what I already had would not have been good) so it must have been a while since they used it. I have seen that one on eBay for a few years now and I always shied away from it.

Engineer-in-Training
    Sounds great. I think I will give it a go with the ABS that came with the machine.

What brands of PLA or ABS do you guys recommend? I wrote down some of the sources I have seen on here but have to go digging for them now!

Going to order a few more rolls of PLA & ABS as I start to learn!
    There are only 2 places I order from:
    http://www.makergeeks.com
    http://www.orbpolymer.com

I order alot more from MakerGeeks.

MG has the higher quality material (though not by much).
    MG does free shipping on any order in US, Orb ya have to buy 3 rolls to get free shipping.
    Orb only carries ABS, PLA, and PETG, whereas MG carries a huge range of specialty filaments as well.
    MG runs spools of as they are ordered directly onto the spools that are shipped to you. Orb used huge warehouse spools and cuts orders off of there. The end result is ya get firmer and fresher material from MG....esp so on less popular colors. The drawback is that it can take a day or 2 for MG to ship your order, where as with Orb it goes out that day or the next (depending on how late in the day ya order).

If your John Deere bushing goes in an area that gasoline could spill on, into, etc. then I would consider nylon which is much more chemical resistant than ABS. I keep a roll of Taulman 910 in the shop for things that need maximum toughness, chemical resistance etc. Ya it's 3x as expensive as typical ABS but for certain applications it's awesome IMHO.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PatPend View Post
    If your John Deere bushing goes in an area that gasoline could spill on, into, etc. then I would consider nylon which is much more chemical resistant than ABS. I keep a roll of Taulman 910 in the shop for things that need maximum toughness, chemical resistance etc. Ya it's 3x as expensive as typical ABS but for certain applications it's awesome IMHO.
    Good call!

Didn't even think about fuel....

Pat is correct, even the lower grades of nylon are typically more resistant to abrasive chems than ABS is gonna be.

Engineer
    There are only 2 places I order from:
    http://www.makergeeks.com
    http://www.orbpolymer.com
    I had not seen mention of it on this BB but MakerGeeks is having a 15% off sale thru July 5th. Coupon code is FIREWORKS

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I had not seen mention of it on this BB but MakerGeeks is having a 15% off sale thru July 5th. Coupon code is FIREWORKS
    I was just about to purchase some from them too. I really want to get away from PLA/ABS and go for some PETG which they do make and isn't so exotic but the temps the temps. :/

Page 205 of 411 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305 ... LastLast