Close

Page 242 of 411 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252292342 ... LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 4110
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JimHs1 View Post
    No I didn't buy one, as the local library has one available for use. Yes, I thought they were way overpriced and wasn't considering a purchase, at least not until I had several scans that turned out good.

Thanks, but I would hate to have you spend your time on a project of mine. I will try the library scanner first them MAY take you up on your offer. My biggest problem is finding a reasonable 3d CAD and learning to use it. I have used TinkerCAD for some basic items, but it doesn't have the capability (or maybe its just me) for this part. I have tried but after several hours I gave up. I have tried Fusion360, but tis capabilities and how to use them are not obvious (at least to me).
    I have been using Fusion 360 and it is very powerful - similar to Solidworks but it is a bit of a learning curve. I started with Sketchup but quickly learned it does not produce the best print ready files.
    I am learning fusion by starting with basic items and learning processes to apply later to more complicated things.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Syd_Khaos View Post
    Buddy, I got plenty of time to spare lol.

I use Blender for all my design work. I know...its a rendering program, but it does everything I need to to design prints. Not to mention its free, and there is HUGE amount of online tutorials for it.

If ya have access to the makerbot scanner then you should def try it out. Chances are you will need to work on the model a bit before its printer ready.

If you have that much spare time I have a challenge for fun. It is a handle for a pair of good scissors that broke!! I can actually send you the part.

Engineer
    Does anyone on here use a filament cleaner/lubricator?
    If so what oil do you use?
    What is the best location for one?

Technician
    I use Lightwave 3D for modeling. It's not free, but I already had it and knew how to use it. I've written my own STL import/export scripts, because I'm a professional software engineer and that was frankly far easier than learning new modeling software. :-)

Student
    Follow Stwert On Twitter Add Stwert on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by JimHs1 View Post
    No I didn't buy one, as the local library has one available for use. Yes, I thought they were way overpriced and wasn't considering a purchase, at least not until I had several scans that turned out good.

Thanks, but I would hate to have you spend your time on a project of mine. I will try the library scanner first them MAY take you up on your offer. My biggest problem is finding a reasonable 3d CAD and learning to use it. I have used TinkerCAD for some basic items, but it doesn't have the capability (or maybe its just me) for this part. I have tried but after several hours I gave up. I have tried Fusion360, but tis capabilities and how to use them are not obvious (at least to me).

If you persevere with it Fusion is actually really good. Some things really don't seem to obvious (or a bit blinking backward in some cases) but it's getting better with every update. I was almost put off it when I first used it, but I'm really glad I persevered, there's not a lot you can't do with it once you get your head around it. And we're all here if you need some advice when you get stuck.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Stwert View Post
    If you persevere with it Fusion is actually really good. Some things really don't seem to obvious (or a bit blinking backward in some cases) but it's getting better with every update. I was almost put off it when I first used it, but I'm really glad I persevered, there's not a lot you can't do with it once you get your head around it. And we're all here if you need some advice when you get stuck.
    The 2 things that were so frustrating is drawings and sketching. Both have come a long way in the past 6 months. The 3d modeling part has been great for quite a while. I still haven't rapped my mind around the sculpting, a whole different world there it seem. When I watch sculpting videos in Fusion they make it seem so easy, but when I try I get nowhere. lol

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    If you have that much spare time I have a challenge for fun. It is a handle for a pair of good scissors that broke!! I can actually send you the part.
    Bring it!!

Always up for a good challenge. Hit me up in PM if ya think sending the broke part is required.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    What is the best glue to use with ABS for strength of bond?
    I've built a lot of things with sheet ABS. For that I use Scigrip 2354 which I got at Tap Plastics. It perfectly fuses the parts into a single piece.

It works great on 3D-printed ABS as well, and I would think it's vastly better than cyanoacrylate. I've used it to fuse ABS sheet to 3D-printed ABS parts.

http://www.scigrip.com/product.php?id=35
    https://www.tapplastics.com/product/...ld_on_2354/134

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Noircogi View Post
    I've built a lot of things with sheet ABS. For that I use Scigrip 2354 which I got at Tap Plastics. It perfectly fuses the parts into a single piece.

It works great on 3D-printed ABS as well, and I would think it's vastly better than cyanoacrylate. I've used it to fuse ABS sheet to 3D-printed ABS parts.

http://www.scigrip.com/product.php?id=35
    https://www.tapplastics.com/product/...ld_on_2354/134
    Looks like a mixture of acetone and MEK. Dissolves ABS material to form a bond.

You know I had some ABS plumbers cement/glue in a small can but it dried out on me so I went looking and Oatey doesn't make the stuff anymore and the can I had I searched but nothing as if the Pharaoh himself removed all references to the product from the books.

It was damn good stuff too and not simply acetone either. Was used on ABS pipes as there are some out there in the wild (I can still buy ABS plumbing pipes the last time I looked) but the cement/glue is not to be found. It was cheap too.

Page 242 of 411 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252292342 ... LastLast