I'm doing test scans to try and get to grips with the different lighting options on some vapour blasted parts. Sorry Dave aka Nerv still using the turntable and small parts whilst I get to understand the process. I'm saving .stl files and they are massive, a 90mm piston is around 720 MB, if it manages to save it without crashing (the software gets to the end of the "complete" operation and then crashes and reverts back to the desktop)and that's 3 passes or scans. One thing is the scans look great when they are on screen, but when you "complete" the process they get distorted with extra artifacts. I'm generally seeing flat areas become layered with scale like deposits if I do additional scans to see hidden areas.
One of the issues I did have was the parts were moving or rocking slightly when using the turntable as the movements are quite quick. Obviously didn't have that issue with a lazy susan icing board.
A couple of questions.
Is there a way of seeing or reverting these scans or bodies as separate entities?
Do you have to use the .asc files, that are saved in the format xxx_ScanData_n.asc and possibly layer & align in Meshlab for example?
If you don't like an intermediate scan can you delete it and "continue" again.