Close

Student

Geeetech i3 Acrylic Printer - Threaded Y-Axis Rod - Guidance Needed

Greetings Geetech i3 users. I'm building my acrylic i3 printer and hit a snag and need guidance. On the top boards for mounting the vertical threaded and smooth rods (Y axis?), the holes for the threaded rods are not large enough for the threaded rods to go through without actually threading them through. As I'm looking at it, it seems that the threaded rods should rotate freely in those holes, i.e., no friction with the sides of the holes in the acrylic boards. So, do I drill these holes to a larger diameter so as not to have tight contact with the threaded rods? Are they supposed to spin freely in the top holes as I assume?

Many thanks! Looking forward to printing!

Max

Technician
    Add ZorAxe on Thingiverse
    Are you using a build guide? If so, what does it say?

If not, maybe try Google to find one

Technician
    Are you using a build guide? If so, what does it say?

If not, maybe try Google to find one.

I looked for some info regarding your issue, but cant find anything that specifically talks about it. I'd say drill it out, because if its threaded then it will want to either pull the frame together or push it apart when the motor turns, and you might risk cracking your frame. It's just my opinion though.

You could also contact the supplier you got it from and ask for some clarification

Student
    You mean, read the instructions?!? :-) Well, I'm using the Geeetech build guide and all it says is to mount the board to the top. Not the clearest guide. And contacting the supplier and Geeetech directly has proven fruitless for all issues to date, including a couple of completely defective parts (like an important nut that didn't have threads cut).

I'm looking for someone with an acrylic i3 to simply look at theirs and tell me if the top of the vertical threaded rod spins freely in the acrylic mount. I don't want to drill out that hole if I'm not supposed to.

Technician
    I just dont see how the printer will work if it's threaded. As the Z-axis motors turn it will try either pull the threaded top mount towards the motor or push it away because the motor itself is mounted to the frame as well. I'm just thinking logically, and I dont see how it will work if its threaded. Too make logical sense to me, I see that it must be smooth.

It's just my logic of thinking. Maybe someone else will reply soon who has that printer and can provide more for a clear answer.