Close

Engineer

Flexible 3D Prints

I find it fascinating how clever some people are. The great thing about 3D printing is that people can take their ideas they have in their mind and actually materialize an object. I saw this video today on 3DPrintIndustries and thought it was pretty cool.Basically it shows all sorts of 3D printers which have movable parts and are flexible. The prototypes were generated by Rhino, Grasshopper and Solidworks and fabricated with two additive manufacturing processes, which are Powder Bed Fusion and Fused Deposition Modeling.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    These are some cool explorations, and nice to see people work with Grasshopper! Although 3d printing is just not ready yet for creating functional fabrics. It looks cool but still quite crude - the quality didn't change all that much since people like Janne Kyttanen started doing this back around 2005. I don't imagine myself wearing garments out of >1mm thick 3d printed plastic wires. I and some other people from the University of Technology in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, will be doing something similar to this, but a bit more advanced. It's good to see these related projects, thanks!