Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

Feedback on the Makergear M2 vs. Lulzbot TAZ 5 please

Hello,
    Newbie here researching 3d printer options for our company. We want a machine to make prototypes with. Most of what we'd be making are prototypes of fabricated steel brackets. I'm looking for something with a bigger build size than the Fastforge Creator or Dreamer. It seems like most printers in the $1000-1500 price range have a smaller build size.
    The ones I've been considering are the Makergear M2 and the Lolzbot TAZ 5. I've searched (here and the web) for all the info I can find on the two and they seem pretty even as far as specs and reviews.
    I'd really appreciate and feedback you can give, or any other options I should consider.
    Thank you!
    Chad

Engineer
    well chad i cant give you a comparison but i can help you with anything you need to know about makergear or the m2 since i have 4 of them. great machine, great company. build quality is awesome. the m2 single head is now shipping with the new v4 extruder...just an fyi. i can say the makergear just works. they are workhorse machines that just run and run. i have one machine that has to have aprox 7-8000 hours on it. its still rockin and prints as clean as the day i opened it up.

Student
    Jim,
    Thank you for the info on the M2. Honestly, that's the one I'm leaning more towards, but the TAV 5 has a bit larger build area which is very appealing as it would fit some of our larger brackets better.

Engineer
    best thing you can do chad is come to the makergear forum, introduce yourself and ask questions. the group there are really awesome and helpful. if you look around there you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that isnt completely happy with their m2.

Hi,
    I posted some of what I do with a Printrbot Metal Plus here : http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay...rintrbot-Forum

It has an autolevelling feature that is very useful and the volume you are looking for. Also, the new metal hot ends are available and it's a realtively simple install : http://printrbot.com/shop/metal-ubis-hot-end-2/

Student
    Thanks guys!
    No decision yet, still reading and reading LOL

I'm curious on the outcome. Have the same question here!

im in the market for my third printer.
    i have a
    Makerfarm prusa i3v 12x12x12 and its ok...
    Flashforge Creator pro - AMAZING printer... quality at .1mm is stunning.

Im searching for a good size volume printer again for a big job. maybe a taz 5, or maybe a printrbot metal plus
    Last edited by dunginhawk; 09-07-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Simple & Metal are 2 different machines.

Student
    Hi guys,
    I was really torn between the TAZ 5 and the Makergear M2. Everything I read said they were both awesome. I ended up going with the TAZ 5 in the end and it was based solely on build size. The TAZ had a bit bigger area which will really help us. I've been using it for about a week now and it's been awesome! Bought it through Matterhackers and I'm using their Mattercontrol software and loving it.
    Before using the TAZ I had zero experience with 3d printing. I can't believe how smooth it has gone. I've read so much to try and educate myself on the processes and I followed all the instructions to a T. Also, the customer support at Matterhackers has been awesome too.
    Hope that helps.
    Chad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast