Close

Setting up Cura for i3v

I've been searching putting bits and pieces together from here and there trying to get my head wrapped around slicing programs. I've had lots of problems with the Slic3r version recommended on prints that are supposed to be bullet proof. So I've decided to switch. My problem is that I'm completely new to 3D printing and since I haven't had much experience with machine settings I'm conflicted on what I need to get Cura working on my i3v. There doesn't seem to be much for documentation going into detail on setting up Cura explaining all the different settings.

So what I've found is that it looks like I mainly need to worry about the retraction setting in Cura as it uses a Bowden. Beyond that since I don't have much experience changing settings should I basically copy over the settings MakerFarm provided to use in Sli3er? I don't know if these will work okay in Cura or cause problems. It's become frustrating as I've printed about 4 things and only one came out without major problems. The hallow test cube MakerFarm provides on the build guide. The default Slic3r version keeps telling me there's problems with prints I've downloaded such as non manifold edges or holes etc etc but these are prints that are very popular and others have printed many times. I've tried repairing some to an extent but they really just get altered greatly with fill in areas of detail that ruin them.

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    I tend to use Slic3r, I think I am on 1.1.7. That being said I use Cura sometimes too. I really want to get Simplify 3D, but I need to be able to justify it and I also just started another hobby. With all that extra info, I got my Cura settings from Printbus's thread (which really should be a sticky) here. http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post39620.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Thanks for the plug, Todd.

CoffeeCup - Just note that the settings in my build thread are for Cura Engine as an integral part of the Repetier Host application. I didn't really care for the user interface on the standalone Cura. While all the same settings are there, they are grouped differently and IIRC some labels are different. Also note that I haven't used or updated Repetier Host (or the integral Cura) since January 2015. My listing might not address settings added in newer versions of RH or Cura Engine.

Use the 3DPrintBoard search utility and search the MakerFarm forum on keyword "cura". About 85 threads come up as a match. Scan through the thread names, looking for thread titles that suggest settings. There are at least a couple of threads where people have posted their INI file contents for standalone Cura. EDIT: Unless you're going to use the INI file contents as a whole, it can be a bit of a pain to figure out how to correlate specific INI file entries to the user interface settings.
    Last edited by printbus; 08-13-2015 at 10:43 AM.

USarmyaircav and Printbus thanks for the responses. First I want to apologize for spreading this over multiple threads. As you two responded I dug up an earlier post of Printbus's here: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...settings/page2 asking questions about retraction settings.

USarmyaircav I have now looked at Printbus's thread where you got your Cura settings.

Looking at Printbus's Repetier/Cura settings I see retraction distance set at 1.5 mm and minimum travel before retract at 4 mm. Were these proven sufficient?
    Last edited by CoffeeCup; 08-14-2015 at 03:33 AM.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    ...Looking at Printbus's Repetier/Cura settings I see retraction distance set at 1.5 mm and minimum travel before retract at 4 mm. Were these proven sufficient?
    IMO they're a reasonable starting point, and you can adjust from there as you learn more and go down the usual path that we all do of trying to optimize the heck out of everything.

Again, I wouldn't assume these are cast-in-concrete, works-for-all-in-every-case settings. Anything that can affect the extrusion flow can make a difference. Filament characteristics, nozzle temp, layer thickness, first layer gap accuracy, nozzle size, extent of print cooling airflow, how well the extruder has been calibrated, and how well the retraction acceleration and speed have been adjusted come to mind. On top of that, print designs vary in where they REQUIRE a travel move, which can affect how often a retraction might be applied. Then things like infill and gap fill settings in the slicer can affect where travel moves are used for touchup work; that alone can be a significant variable in how many retractions might be applied.

Retractions can help improve print quality, but each pass of the same section of filament over the hobbed bolt increases the risk of the hobbed bolt carving away at the filament to the extent that extrusion stops.

Sure, it can be frustrating to figure all this out. We've all been there. Well, maybe except for those that have closed printers that don't provide a lot of options on settings. I was initially flabbergasted in how configuring a slicer can require dealing with dozens and dozens of settings, but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Okay I got the settings all in there and they're working good. Cura hasn't had issues with the prints I had troubles with using that older version of Slic3r. I've printed good test cubes and other models. The larger weirdly shaped model is an Iphone speaker amplifier gizmo thing I printed first with Slic3r. I came out large in some dimensions oddly and some areas of detail simply missing and filled in. The smaller version printed with Cura, is correctly sized plus the details are present. It did not finish as I booted my computer up while connected to the RAMPS board. After some Googling I learned that can stop your print dead in it's tracks. Which it did as evidenced by the hot end nozzle burn shape.

All in all it's working a charm. Thank you!

FullSizeRender.jpg