Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+

Lightbulb Drawbacks in 3d Printing

Hello everyone! We all know that 3d printing technology provides a vast and promising opportunities in different industries and in businesses. But some of us are hesitant to venture 3d printing as a business because of its drawbacks. I would like to know your thoughts about the hurdle or drawbacks in 3d printing that's been holding us back in reaching its full potentials.

I think a big factor if not all is people. People's skills and awareness doesn't follow up with the recent development of hardware.
    Harnessing printers is simple, but most people don't know how to design models themselves, this is true at least in my place.
    So hardware is just a tool, and a link among the chain. While 3d skill is the starting end of the chain.

I don't think drawbacks is the right word to use. Like any manufacturing methods it advantages and disadvantages. Find one that fits your requirements and the question is moot.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep what he said.

If you illuminate us as to what you think are 'drawbacks' bobby I'm sure we can explain why they aren't -)

The way I look at it is that I now have a couple of small machines in my workshop that - essentially - duplicate what an entire traditional factory complete with hundreds of workers does.
    Albeit on a some what smaller production scale.

The only drawbacks I have are working out what to design and make next :-)

Technician
    In terms of an FDM printer which most people have, I'd say speed and overhangs are the major drawback to running a business with that type of printer. I do quite a few jobs and my major barrier is some customers wanting either an extremely complex model printed that really should be done on an SLS printer or the average guy that wants you to print a rubber band gun for his kid that he found on Thingiverse. It takes 4 hours to print and thinks he can get it for five bucks. I get lots of those.

Most of my jobs though are folks that want prototypes done and don't balk at the price since it's a lot cheaper to test and redesign before you spend big bucks on molds or machining. Those are the jobs I'm after. I doubt being as small time as I am I could ever make a living at just printing and scanning but I enjoy it and I make a few bucks to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezio Auditure View Post
    I think a big factor if not all is people. People's skills and awareness doesn't follow up with the recent development of hardware.
    Harnessing printers is simple, but most people don't know how to design models themselves, this is true at least in my place.
    So hardware is just a tool, and a link among the chain. While 3d skill is the starting end of the chain.
    We're on the same page, Ezio! I have been helping 2 American and 1 Australian Companies to 3d print their prototypes because they didn't know about the 3d printing technology. It's quite disappointing to know that 3d printing technologies contributes into improving different industries and sectors, but its full potential is not utilize because of this hurdle.

Another challenge I see is that, even though we know how to design a 3d model or prototype, purchasing 3d printers and other 3d printing facilities for a business is expensive. Hence, the hesitance on venturing to 3d printing.

I think challenge may be the right term for my question. I apologize if the question somehow confuses you.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    User education.

Each technology is potentially good for many things, great for some things, and perfect for a very few things.

I have a really nice Phillips screwdriver, P2. It's GREAT for P2 screws. It does a so-so job on P1 and P3 screws. I can't get it to provide much help with slotted, hex or torx screws - and don't get me started on nails or sockets! This is not a flaw with the screwdriver, this is using the wrong tool (or technology) to solve a problem for which better solutions already exist.

Uneducated people hear about a vast array of things that have been 3D printed, but they don't generally know that there are a variety of technologies (FFF, SL, SLS, etc.) that fall under this umbrella; nor do they generally realize that the images you see on the glossy websites have not only been post-processed to some degree, but are the final versions of objects that have been designed, printed, modified, reprinted, had recipes tweaked, reprinted, ad nauseam, until they finally arrive at the gem presented. Yes, the print took 45 minutes. The entire process may have taken days... or weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    User education.

Each technology is potentially good for many things, great for some things, and perfect for a very few things.

I have a really nice Phillips screwdriver, P2. It's GREAT for P2 screws. It does a so-so job on P1 and P3 screws. I can't get it to provide much help with slotted, hex or torx screws - and don't get me started on nails or sockets! This is not a flaw with the screwdriver, this is using the wrong tool (or technology) to solve a problem for which better solutions already exist.

Uneducated people hear about a vast array of things that have been 3D printed, but they don't generally know that there are a variety of technologies (FFF, SL, SLS, etc.) that fall under this umbrella; nor do they generally realize that the images you see on the glossy websites have not only been post-processed to some degree, but are the final versions of objects that have been designed, printed, modified, reprinted, had recipes tweaked, reprinted, ad nauseam, until they finally arrive at the gem presented. Yes, the print took 45 minutes. The entire process may have taken days... or weeks.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree I think lack of understanding on how to properly operate a 3d printer and the whole process of design for printing etc is a major issue with 3d printing currently.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Also designing for 3d printing is still not widespread.

You see no end of models where someone has just got lazy and designed something that won't print without supports.

I haven't yet had to use supports on anything I've designed. There's always a way round :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast