Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Best Software to use with CTC printer ?

We have a CTC dual-extruder printer , model-05204,
    and have been trying different host-slicer software, to determine best to use.

First used Makerbot-2.4 then upgraded to version 3.7, and found a problem with it.
    When printing objects with large-area first layers, it does Not print all of first layers before going to other layers.
    I call it a Stair-step effect, (may could be called a Z-offset problem)
    It seems like slicer is Not allocating enough memory for each layer ??

Next tried Replicator-G , it does not have the Stair-step problem,
    but is more difficult to do settings and to use, and does Not have as many options.

So went looking and borrowed Simplify3D , it is great to setup and use,
    but when we changed Temp. to extruders, the software settings changed and saved,
    but changes were Not sent to printer when print started, stayed stuck at 230C.
    I think it's a software to firmware compatibility problem ??

Others we tried are Not compatible and will not send data to printer thru USB-cable.

So, I hope someone Here has used Other good host-slicer software, with CTC, that would be better and problem free ?
    Any suggestions about how to solve the Markerbot or Simplifiy3D problem, would be appreciated ?

Engineer
    Nothing is perfect, I would still say S3D is going to be your 'best' option. Were you trying to change the temp. while it was printing via the software? I've never tried that myself while it's printing, normally I would just change it manually on the printer if needed. But really you shouldn't need to change the temp while it's printing anyway if you set it correct in the slicer before hand, which you will get used to knowing what materials print at what temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    Nothing is perfect, I would still say S3D is going to be your 'best' option. Were you trying to change the temp. while it was printing via the software? I've never tried that myself while it's printing, normally I would just change it manually on the printer if needed. But really you shouldn't need to change the temp while it's printing anyway if you set it correct in the slicer before hand, which you will get used to knowing what materials print at what temp.
    No, all setting changes were made before prints were started,
    None of changes got to printer, temp changes and stays at 230C when print is started.

I also tried lowering the Baud-rate, which someone suggested, but No setting changes help

I don't think Any commands are getting thru, after slicing.
    the temp being wrong was just the First thing I noticed.

We just tried Repetier-host software and it has similar problem.
    It connects to printer but commands are Not activating anything at printer.
    It does not even change the extruder temp, which is different than S3D.

I'm going to work on fixing the Makerbot-3.7 problem next.
    It works great , if I could find out what's causing the Stair-step problem ??
    I think the slicers memory allocation needs to be changed
    but have not found a way to do that in Makerbot ??
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 08-07-2015 at 03:29 PM.

I think I found a solution to Makerbot Stair-step problem.
    I went back to version-2.4 of Makerbot software, and recent prints don't have that problem.

Had to put in new hard-drive to get 2.4 to re-install.
    Since completely uninstalling and deleting everything related to 3.7 would not allow reinstall of 2.4
    3.7 must have hidden something in Windows-registry !

Version 3.7 has some great improvements, over 2.4, but I suppose it is not completely compatible with present firmware in printer.
    Maybe someday I will change firmware to Sailfish and then retry 3.7
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 08-08-2015 at 02:07 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    s3d is the best. Takes a little while to get used to all the settings. I only ever use advanced mode so no clue what works or doesn't in idiot mode.
    sounds like you didn't change all the settings.
    And i did find I had to rewrite the gcode for seperate left and right extruder profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    s3d is the best. Takes a little while to get used to all the settings. I only ever use advanced mode so no clue what works or doesn't in idiot mode.
    sounds like you didn't change all the settings.
    And i did find I had to rewrite the gcode for seperate left and right extruder profiles.
    S3D does have some great functions,
    but S3D is Not the Best, if it does Not work with your printer !

Maybe someday I will change firmware to Sailfish and will then try S3D and Makerbot-3.7 again.
    For now Makerbot-2.4 is doing everything we Need.

Oh and referring to me as an Idiot was a Big Help ! LOL
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 08-09-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Would be nice to have friendly , intelligent, & knowledgeable people to talk to, on 3D-forum websites,
    but I'm starting to think there are Not any of those in the 3D community.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleSeven View Post
    Would be nice to have friendly , intelligent, & knowledgeable people to talk to, on 3D-forum websites,
    I have exactly the same problem as you with my ctc printer and was wondering if you found a solution?

makerware 2.4 works but makerbot desktop 3.7 has issues.
    Simplify3d is a joke and has a mind of its own. for instance, if i try and print via usb it never remembers my temps and prints an object that is not even on the build platform so i've given up with Simplify3d as there is nothing Simple about it.

I use ReplicatorG sailfish version as i have sailfish 7.7
    ReplicatorG works ok but i would love to get makerbot 3.7 to work for usb prints, i would then put some time and effort into making custom profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSeven View Post
    Simply put, there are not a lot of people who are extremely knowledgeable about every 3D printer and the multitudes of software that go with them. It's a fairly new technology with a hugely diverse community. For example, if I Google "CTC Model-05204", this thread is literally the first link that Google provides. There's not even a page on CTC with details about that model. Furthermore, CTC is a Chinese company that blatenlty copies American designs and provides little to no documentation.

Many of us built our printers and found all electronics, firmware and software from scratch. We are very intelligent, just not completely knowledgeable about Chinese printers.

As for your problem...you should look into what version of Firmware CTC is using on the controller board. Can you connect using pronterface?

I would look into Slic3r. It is a very popular slicing software, especially in the reprap community. It is what I use and has both advanced and simplified modes.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonF1 View Post
    I have exactly the same problem as you with my ctc printer and was wondering if you found a solution?

makerware 2.4 works but makerbot desktop 3.7 has issues.
    Simplify3d is a joke and has a mind of its own. for instance, if i try and print via usb it never remembers my temps and prints an object that is not even on the build platform so i've given up with Simplify3d as there is nothing Simple about it.

I use ReplicatorG sailfish version as i have sailfish 7.7
    ReplicatorG works ok but i would love to get makerbot 3.7 to work for usb prints, i would then put some time and effort into making custom profiles.
    Thanks for the reply,
    It's good to know that I'm Not the Only one having those problems.

I decided not to try to upgrade the Firmware yet, since I doubt it would help.
    So, I'm now using MeshMixer software to Design/Edit objects,
    and still using Makerbot 2.4 Host/Slicer, since it's a little more advanced than Replicator-G.
    Ol' 2.4 is not the easiest to use, but it does get the job done.

At this time I have Not found any other options.
    But hope to someday find more Advance slicer software that really works with this CTC printer,
    since several modifications added to hardware has made it a great printer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast