Close

Thread: Nema 17 motors

Nema 17 motors

Hi, I'm building a Prusa i3, are good this motor?
    http://it.aliexpress.com/item/5pcs-4...849871491.html
    Thanks

Senior Engineer
    They are OK and will work. The problems you will have with these motors are:
    If the wires break you cannot replace them as they go directly into the motor, ones with plugs on are much better
    The current draw per winding varies somewhat as does the pulling torque and the locking torque. This will probably not give you problems as they have plenty of power even on the weaker windings.
    The stepping angle varies particularly when you are microstepping. This makes waves on your prints sometimes but is generally not too much of a problem.

Just a quick answer, I am sure there will be other input from other members.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wercan_Downey View Post
    I don't think DIY is a good way for a fresh guy,you may start with some entry-level products,but if you need anything or any tech guards,you can find it in this website
    lol not a shameless plug for your own website at all :-)
    Last edited by JohnA136; 08-18-2015 at 05:37 AM.

Engineer
    We did use the 17hs8401 for some robotic application in our school lab. They worked well, we did use our own National Instruments stepper driver though, can't tell if it will ever make noise with those pololu drivers.

If you are in Montreal, there's a store..... the salesman is quite nice.

http://www.voxelfactory.com/collecti...motor-17hs8401