Close

Looking to build.....

Hey everyone!

I'm a bit new here but I had the wonderful suggestion from a friend to get on the forums for some ideas.

Long story short I'm looking to build my own printer from scratch. A large one. I've already picked up basic frame pieces to build the structure, but as far as the hardware goes, I don't know where to start! As well as some of the software, but I have a few ideas and suggestions there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The goal in the long run is that I want to be able to print large items, To give an idea my frame is 3x3x6 tall. Yes this is massive comparatively to most home owner 3d printers on the market. What I ideally want to be printing is customized guitars and Cosplay items. So far I have ordered 3 stepper motors, 3 stepper motor drivers, 4m of belt, 4 gears and a 24v power supply. I assume I ultimately need some sort of a controller/control board and a screen to see progress? I also still need to get the rods for the motors to drive on, an extruder and a bed which im assuming I would need to be customized.

So ultimately advice I need:

Software

controller/ecu?

Rod materials

Bed material

extruder suggestions (looking to use PLA mainly, but other ideas or possibly a metal capable one?)

LCD screens?

any thing im missing?

Thank you in advance everyone! And please... be easy, im a beginner at this trying to shoot for the stars and I know it.

Sincerely,

~CJ

The LCD screens are linked to the board you use, many options out there so you'll find what you need.

You'll need a way to tell your printer that he has reached end of motion course : switches.

If you want to use an auto levelling feature for your bed (which I recommend), you'll need a depth sensor. Printrbot uses Hall effect sensors with a metallic bed.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    The LCD screens are linked to the board you use, many options out there so you'll find what you need.

You'll need a way to tell your printer that he has reached end of motion course : switches.

If you want to use an auto levelling feature for your bed (which I recommend), you'll need a depth sensor. Printrbot uses Hall effect sensors with a metallic bed.
    Perfect! Thank you! definitely things I hadn't thought about. I've also added to the list: linear roller bearings and the linear shafts for them. I think I have found a decent rated extruder assembly and board with the LCD that I am picking up. Anything else to add aside from the switches and sensors?

What kind of switches am I looking for? anything specific? thank you again!