Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for my first printer, is anyone using one of these printers?

I am ready to make the plunge into the world of 3D printing. I have been doing a lot of reading, including the buyers guide on this forum, and I have managed to find a few printers that I like and I am wondering if anyone is using one of these printers. If so, can you please offer some feedback.

CTC Bizer dual extruder - $500
    http://www.ctcprinter.com/product_detail.php?ProId=23

Micro Center PowerSpec 3D Pro - $ 699
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/435491/3D_Pro

XYZ Da Vinci 1.0 - $499
    http://us.xyzprinting.com/us_en/Prod...FQIIaQodlTsH3A

I would like to keep things at no more than $500 and I do not really need the dual extruder but it is a nice plus. l would rather have better accuracy than a dual extruder. It appears that the CTC and PowerSpec are the same unit except for the case. The CTC is wood and the PowerSpec is plastic. I like the resolution on the CTC and PowerSpec, seems to be better than the Da Vinci. The Da Vinci seems to be more plug and play than the other units with what seems to be pretty good support but I have read some mixed reviews.

I am also open to suggestions on any other printers that fit my budget of about $500.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I take my first steps into the world of 3D printing.

Thanks advance!

Thanks for the input! Do you by any chance know what the positioning precision is on the unit? The PowerSpec is 11 microns for the xy and 2.5 microns for the z. Is the duplicator I3 as good?
    After some addition research on the CTC I am elimination it due to having to use their filament. The Da Vinci has the same problem but at least I can pick up the Daa Vici locally.

If you do decide on a Davinci 1.0, newegg has them on sale for $350 like every other week.

Newegg is currently selling th 1.0 for $450 and the jr. for $350. The 1.0 for $450 is the best price that I have been able to find.

If you want a 3D printer at around 500 USD, I would recommend you UP! Mini.

Cheap enough, easy to use, but a too small build volume, if you don't mind...

You make no mention of what material you intend to use. This is a huge deal breaker. If you want one that will print all materials then you will need one with a full enclosure (or at least be able to have a full enclosure) - they ALL say they print all the materials, but what you really want is a printer that will print all materials reliably - most of the time.

So if you can answer those questions that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Umpa View Post
    You make no mention of what material you intend to use. This is a huge deal breaker. If you want one that will print all materials then you will need one with a full enclosure (or at least be able to have a full enclosure) - they ALL say they print all the materials, but what you really want is a printer that will print all materials reliably - most of the time.

So if you can answer those questions that would help.
    I would like to at least be able to print ABS and PLA. I have not researched much beyond these two materials to see what else is available and what the benefits might be. The missing enclosure is a concern with the Wahao Duplicator I3. As you mention, the specs indicate that it can print a ton of different materials but I do not know if it can really print them without the enclosure. I have even wondered if I could build an enclosure for it but I just do not know enough about the enclosure requirements at this time.

I have narrow things down to the Wanhao Duplicator I3 for $429 and the PowerSpec Pro at $699.

Can anyone offer any last minute thoughts on either of these units? As a beginner is it worth the extra money for the dual head unit with an enclosure? Or do I start with the Wanhao and upgrade if and when I am ready?

It would be nice to use the 2nd head to use PVA water dissolvable support material working. I'm not impressed with overhangs with ABS. Not sure if Sli3er, Cura, or S3D support this option though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast