Close

Help with PLA curling printing issue.

I am trying to print a large object for a cosplay gun. The last half came out fine and had good detail. The first part came out a little warped, and wavy lines. Any ideas on whats causing it? Hot bed to hot? Printing to fast? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Top Half looks fine: Curling on hot bed side
    20150721_204242.jpg 20150721_204254.jpg 20150721_204315.jpg

Engineer
    In your case, it would have been better to split into 2 part and then glue them back together. Parts with overhang and support are just completely disgusting.
    Which is why I avoid printing object with support material/overhang. The chance for the prints increase when you print with support. On top of that you never know when you support will just break in the mid prints and then spaghetti monster appear.

Did you use some double-sided tape or hair spray on the plate to fix the first-layer of the model?
    What was the temperature of the build plate?

The way I did. Glue them. IMG_20150727_174628.jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    As a general rule, slow down print speed and prit at 0.2 layer height.

I've found that the absolute best sytem for pla printing is Pet tape with a few layers of gluestick and bed at 60c.

Nothing curls, it sticks to the point that you have to let it cool, and then reheat the bed before you can remove it.
    Even with a small part, when cold you can pick the printer up by the part and shake it :-)

Small parts I usually hit with a hammer to knock loose. Big parts. Heat the bed back up and work a scraper under one corner. Once you've done a few it's surprisingly easy.

But I've got to the point now where I know - no matter how large the model - it'll stick and stay flat.

And you need good pla as well.

It's probably better if you can show us your settings in the slicer.