Close

Technologist

What support material works best for Ninja-flex?

I am using ninja-flex to make a rubber sleeve to go over a part on an outboard motor. There is a groove in the sleave that the part slides into. It looks like I will need to support part of the print. I tried using PLA ( cuz that is what I have ) and that didn't work at all! Made a big mess. Is there a support material that can be used with ninja-flex that will stay in place and can be removed when the print is finished?

I am using Clough42's dual flex extruder and have the prusa i3V 8 inch. I am using slic3r if you need to know that. The flex filament prints fine. It's the support material I am having problems with.

Your advice is appreciated.
    Thank You

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    self support with the ninjaflex. Or, change the file to be solid under the projection down to the bed and then cut away what you don't need after printing. (would have to go full infill at that point but from what you're describing you're already probably there. )

Technologist
    I don't understand what you mean by "self support with the ninjaflex." Do you mean use ninja flex as the support material as well?

Engineer
    yes use ninjaflex to support ninjaflex. dont use a high support % though. it bonds to itself really well. use no more than 15-20%.

Technologist
    Thank you Jim. I'm afraid I don't understand your instructions. I looked in support material in slic3r and I don't see any support %.

I attached the file I'm having issues with. This is a gasket that fits around a 1/16" thick piece of metal. The gasket is 1/8" thick with a 1/16" space and then another layer 1/8" thick.

For some reason, the print starts building the suppot layer NEXT to the first layer and builds up from there. Don't know why it does that becuse it only needs to fill the 1/6" gap in the middle. Nothing else. I can't figure out how to get the support material to fill just the 1/16" perimeter.

I've tried everything I can think of but no success.
    Attached Files Attached Files

your slicer is screwing up your support- it's offset and apparently not by the correct offset for your support nozzle. Slic3r does not offer a lot of control of infill density IIRC.

it's going to be tough to print that design. I would change the support to be a second pla part that fills the horizontal slot but also goes inside the gasket and extends down to the bed. I don't know how well pla or abs will stick on top of ninjaflex having never used ninjaflex before.

Technologist
    Thanx Jimmy. Why does the support need to extend down to the bed? Couldn't the support just sit in the slot so the top layers can print?

doubt pla will stick to ninjaflex but no experience. usually dissimilar filaments at dissimilar temps will not stick at all. the pla starting at the bed might give it a fighting chance.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by TopJimmyCooks View Post
    doubt pla will stick to ninjaflex but no experience. usually dissimilar filaments at dissimilar temps will not stick at all. the pla starting at the bed might give it a fighting chance.
    OK...got it. Actually, I called the manufacturer of ninja flex. They recommended ABS or disolvable filament would work for support material.

Hope this info helps others as well.

Thank you again for your help and advice.

If you go dissolvable, HIPS is more compatible with ABS and higher temp filaments. PVA is hard to print with and only PLA will begin to stick to it. You might have better luck with the flex extruder. it will not work through a greg's style. Too squishy.