Hey everyone. I feel that I am ready to take on this project. I am not doing it for fun, I am doing it because the 9"x9" build volume is not cutting it for me anymore. I have a small company that uses 3D printing to produce parts. I am constantly asked to print things that are a little bit bigger than 9"x9". Also, my machines were bought, and modified heavily just to attain the level of reliability that I want. The problem is they are not the prettiest things in the world, and a lot of the parts need to be replaced or redesigned. For the most part they are reliable though.

I want to create a big machine. The orientation of the motors will be identical to my standard 9"x9" size machines, so the firmware will be swapped right over with small changes.

I am looking for this machine to have ABL that I currently use with much success. There will be no need for adjustment screws.

The build plate will be aluminum, with a custom 24"x24" silicone heater pad bonded to it. I already contacted some suppliers to make me this size pad with a thermistor hole in the center and run off 110VAC.

Standard ramps/arduino/marlin. Stepper drivers will be DVR8825 driving NEMA 23 motor for the Y axis, NEMA 17 motor for the X, Z and extruder axes. Reason I choose the NEMA 23 for the Y axis, I am anticipating that the bed will weigh quite a bit being that size, and it needs the extra power.

Linear bearings, I am still contemplating whether I should bother getting the expensive linear bearings or just use the standard LM8UU bearings that seem to get the job done just fine.

Axis adjustability. I have not built my own reprap printer from scratch. I just rebuilt and redesigned a printer that runs ramps/marlin. Because of that, I am not familiar with the tricks you guys use for alignment. What is the best way to measure/align rail parallelism, vertical/horizontalness, skew in different planes. Do you guys use long feeler gauges? Thats how I would ensure parallelism in plan, not sure how to do parellel out of plane though. Any input here is appreciated.

I will be using an E3D-V6 hotend. Most likely the Volcano version for the huge 0.8 and 1.2mm nozzles to help speed up production. I dont intend to run a bowden extruder, I dont have experience with that yet.

Other than that, the basic frame will probably be aluminum with some machined bracketry and some metal brackets currently available.

What are your thoughts?