Close

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    I think it should be good enough, but really depends on the size of the features you are trying to scan. Are you going to 3d print them ? If you are using a FDM printer, then the scanning accuracy is more than enough.

You can send me an example of your action figure if you want me to scan it for you, but i live in Switzerland, you might try to find someone in the USA. Just send me a private message through the forum if you want my address.

As for the price:
    http://www.einscan.com/#!shop/cwcm

Thank you for the offer! I just checked and its $22 just to send an envelope or small box international. That's kind of a lot just for a small piece. Any idea where I can find other people looking to scan?

Maybe this weekend I might dig out an action figure from the remnants of toys my son left behind. It depends on if I set up the scanner for another project this weekend.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by neveroddoreven View Post
    Maybe this weekend I might dig out an action figure from the remnants of toys my son left behind. It depends on if I set up the scanner for another project this weekend.

cool. let me know!

I scanned a Death Star Trooper and a Robocop missing its foot, both of them four inch tall action figures. I used high resolution on the turntable, immediately after calibrating the turntable, with the V1.7.0 firmware. The detail is decent but not what I would want for making out the finer injection molded aspects of an action figure's head. Both figures had some very contrasty color schemes -- the trooper with white clothes and black boots/gloves/goggles, and the Robocop had a black gun and pearlescent blue body plates. I had to lightly baby powder both of them to get the scans to turn out. You can see that the overall scan is pretty good but some of the finer details didn't turn out too great. The trooper's hands are a little malformed, and the spike ridge on the back of the helmet are slightly blobby. The Robocop scan is missing the finer lines (actual ridges, not paint) stamped around the head, and in the pectoral and bicep body plates -- those ridges are barely within the 0.1mm tolerance and they do show up a little in a single scan view but disappear when all the scans are coalesced into an object.

Maybe someone with more skills in Meshlab can get the fine lines to come back into existence, I didn't have the time to figure it out with the various notes in this forum's topics. If someone does get a better mesh to happen, I would be quite grateful for a full walkthrough (either writeup or Youtube format).

Note that my specific scanner hardware still has an outstanding question about whether both cameras are actually calibrated correctly with respect to each other. I have one camera (furthest from the USB port) whose sharpest focus plane falls roughly on the nearest edge of the second-to-outermost circle around the turntable, and the camera (on the side closest to the scanner's USB connector) has the sharpest focus plane on the furthest edge of the same circle. I asked previously if others had the same experience and I only got one reply (they didn't see that effect) and no explanation from Shining3D.

Scan file links:
    http://www.neveroddoreven.com/einsca...hTalc_Mesh_stl
    http://www.neveroddoreven.com/einsca...bocop_Mesh_stl
    http://www.neveroddoreven.com/einsca...ocop_ascii.zip

I success mesh with meshlab, but I found the output do watertight just like Einscan_S, do you have any idea?
    I have do something wrong?
    Thank you for your reply.

Technologist
    I'm considering buying the Afinia ES360 scanner which I'm pretty sure is the same as the Einscan, just rebadged.
    Just wondered how you guys are getting on with the Einscan now and has the software been improved at all ?

Yes the Afinia unit us the same as the awesome Einscan, the software has been updated recently. I have used other scanners and the Einscan is defiantly the best you can buy for the money. I don't like the licensing, but once you get past that it's great.

Engineer-in-Training
    I found 3 other names the scanner is sold under, but all are the same, some even have the Einscan code badge on the equipment

The software is one of the reasons I bought the Einscan-s, you can do fast 3D scans in high detail in minutes, but am still learnig to rduce the file zise without losing too much detail.
    Aligning scans is a real time saver with the software, I have done manual alignment with separate scans, and can easily take hours, if the scan will not allign properly, just rotate the object back a bit, and scan again, take just minutes.

Technologist
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I've also tried various scanners such as the Matter and Form but laser scanners don't come anywhere close to the quality of structured light scanning, imho.
    Lately, I've been using the trial version of David Laserscanner with a cheap webcam and 2nd hand projector. The results are excellent but there is quite a bit of setup and post-scanning work involved and I like the sound of the more automated scanning the Afinia/Einscan offer.

Engineer-in-Training
    I was looking around for a good 0.1mm scanner for some time, and most were around +2300,
    David scanner has a sweet setup but was too expensive for me, Einscan-s is is for me the best bang for your buck.

but you will need a good PC to work with the large files, and graphics needed.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast