Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Looked at the source. They are using the free (and lame) wix. Its an insecure javascript with the wix portal. No site that is using the free wix will run in my browsers due to security restrictions.

SecurityError: The operation is insecure. main-r.js:217

They attempt to use local storage (outside your cookies):
    var storage;
    if (isAvailable(window.localStorage)) {
    storage = window.localStorage;
    } else if (isAvailable(window.sessionStorage)) {
    storage = window.sessionStorage;
    } else {
    storage = {
    setItem: function () {},
    getItem: function () {},
    removeItem: function () {}
    };
    }

This tactic is not secure. Its vulnerable to XSS (cross site scripting).
    https://blog.whitehatsec.com/web-storage-security/

Staff Engineer
    I'm a big fan of 3D scanning and keep trying new scanners as they come out. The Einscan seems to still be in the vaporware stage, although it looks interesting. If it does materialize and can achieve the quoted specs, it might be worth checking out. How did Hughes get one - was he a beta tester?

I tried the Fuel 3D, but wasn't impressed. While it does have good resolution, in my tests it was wildly inaccurate in capturing depth.

The Sense is a good scanner for the price, although its lack of resolution means that it's only useful for fairly large objects like full-sized humans. But I'm working on a fix for that.

I've seen the Artec scanners demonstrated, and they are impressive, especially the new Spider, but as was mentioned they're in a whole different price category from the others.

The David SLS2 is a nice system; not cheap but capable of capturing objects with good resolution and accuracy. The main problem I've had with it is getting the individual scans integrated into a solid object - it only captures images from one perspective and won't continue, so many of them have to be aligned and consolidated, which is difficult. Also, the combined scans aren't as sharp as the original component scans.

I think the time is ripe for a big burst of enthusiasm for 3D scanning, much like the one we've just experienced for 3D printing. The two processes go hand in hand, and it will just take someone coming out with the right device - at the right price - for a lot more people to start getting into it.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Einscan vaporware ?

I've got one, they sold many through their Kickstarter campaign. User forum here:
    http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay...n-S-3D-scanner

Now you can pre-order them.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    The Sense is a good scanner for the price, although its lack of resolution means that it's only useful for fairly large objects like full-sized humans. But I'm working on a fix for that.
    A fix you say. Now I'm really curious. Details?

An idea of the Einscan S resolution, here:
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post63568

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I'm still waiting for the new intel realsense chipset and camera setup to hit some mid range tablets.

Like sebastian, I'd like to have a go at 3d scanning but can't justify spending anything more than a few hundred quid.

The low end scanners just don't seem to be there yet. Either the scanning is a bit iffy or the post processig is a nightmare.

It's getting there, but definitely not there yet.

Staff Engineer
    The fix I mentioned involves making some spectacles for the sensor, so it will resolve smaller details. This has been done for the Kinect, but not for the Sense, as far as I know.

As for the Einscan, I called it vaporware because it didn't appear that they were actually for sale at this point. But if some people actually are using it already with good results, that's a positive sign. It does appear that it captures objects with fairly good resolution, and, at least using the turntable, that the scans integrate with each other automatically. There's also a "free scanning" option for larger parts, but not much about that on the website. I'd definitely be up for trying this system out when it becomes available.

Andrew Werby

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol I'm up for trying it - just not buying it ;-)

There is this: http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-7840-tablet/pd
    Yes I know it'sa dell and anyone who knows me knows my opinion of dell is actually lower than my opinion of apple (hard to believe, I know).

But for $349 you get a decent android tablet with stereo cameras. And the RealSense chipset.
    Now intel were running a competition to find apps to use the cameras for scanning, 3d images and the like. https://realsenseappchallenge.intel.com/landing/

Don't know haw far they've got - but potentially it should be a pretty decent 3d scanner, captured to a system that can also do the post processing and even talk directly to your printer.
    I'm holding out for a lenovo tablet with the same chipset and camera setup.

But price and performance wise - it should be a winning combination.

Now this looks promising !
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2015/05/21/cappasity-3d-scan-with-intel-realsense-technology

Although at the moment their software easy 3d scan only supports laptop type devices, it's early days.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-20-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    The fix I mentioned involves making some spectacles for the sensor, so it will resolve smaller details. This has been done for the Kinect, but not for the Sense, as far as I know.

As for the Einscan, I called it vaporware because it didn't appear that they were actually for sale at this point. But if some people actually are using it already with good results, that's a positive sign. It does appear that it captures objects with fairly good resolution, and, at least using the turntable, that the scans integrate with each other automatically. There's also a "free scanning" option for larger parts, but not much about that on the website. I'd definitely be up for trying this system out when it becomes available.

Andrew Werby
    Hey Andrew,

There is a guy in CA supplying "spectacles" for the Occipital Structure / Sense. Google "4eyes". Sebastian. They're one and the same unit. 3D Systems have their own iPad app but it's not worth the extra expense. The Structure is pretty good for the money but it depends on what it is you're hoping to scan. It is worth paying a little extra and buying Occipital's Skanect software for PC/Mac too.

I'm interested in the Einscan. If the results are as good as they're saying, it'll give David a run for its money.

Anyone who's interested in 3D scanning should hop over to Sketchfab, where you'll find the results of many scanning technologies.

Cheers!

AndyL

Pot8oSH3D

Haters gonna hate. Pot8ers gonna pot8!

Technician
    Anyone try or see the Einscan at a Tradeshow etc. Im looking for a scanner under $1000.
    Wonder if any company in USA is selling or taking orders for the Einscan. I don't trust buying
    overseas from China.
    Last edited by spaceman; 07-31-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast