Close

Gluing 3D Printed Parts

Many of us 3D print our designs in parts. Some designs incorporate specific methods of assembling such as using hardware or creating parts meant to be interlocking. However, gluing individual pieces together is often the easiest way to complete a multi-part object. Materials engineer Pierre Leite with the web-based 3D printing service Sculpteo provided a brief guide to gluing, including listing the top three glues most used with 3D printed materials: cyanoacrylate, epoxy, and neoprene glue. We’ve summarized the guide for you here: http://3dprint.com/81111/sculpteo-glue-guide/

When cyanoacrylate is used with multicolor materials it is virtually invisible, as (not!) seen below:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I just use standard clear glue. Whatever solvent it uses seems to work on both abs and pla. Plus it's more flexible than cyanoacrylate

Engineer
    For ABS I use the Acetone and ABS mix. Work's wonders. I also picked up all of the materials to make some "Oogoo" to hopefully use it to hide the seams completely. Will see how that work's.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    Many of us 3D print our designs in parts. Some designs incorporate specific methods of assembling such as using hardware or creating parts meant to be interlocking. However, gluing individual pieces together is often the easiest way to complete a multi-part object. Materials engineer Pierre Leite with the web-based 3D printing service Sculpteo provided a brief guide to gluing, including listing the top three glues most used with 3D printed materials: cyanoacrylate, epoxy, and neoprene glue. We’ve summarized the guide for you here: http://3dprint.com/81111/sculpteo-glue-guide/

When cyanoacrylate is used with multicolor materials it is virtually invisible, as (not!) seen below:

Solvent welding with solvents intended for acrylic work, I read online (haven't tried it myself yet; I'm just researching now).