Close

Robo 3D R1 or the non-cartesian Polar3D Printer?

Both of these printers have the same competitive price, 799$
    This printer will be my first 3d printer (besides when i got a davinci 1.0 that didnt work out of box)
    I am looking for a semi-easy to use printer yet i still consider my self kind of tech savy in that i have build a computer before (which isnt that hard)
    The R1 has a little bit bigger build volume and it also has a lot of room for mods
    The Polar3D is a very unique and interesting printer that seems ready to use out of box
    So... you decide, the Polar3D Printer: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-3D-Printer/dp/B00M48BLRW or the Robo3D R1: http://www.amazon.com/ROBO-3D-Assemb.../dp/B00MMN3BEK ?
    Also i am not looking for a kit, i dont have time or the patience to be able to do that.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the robo has a much larger build volume.
    Is getting some good reviews and because of the spinning will probably print faster.
    And - I thought - is also ready to use out of the box.

Though I've not seen any videos of the polar printing.
    good review on amazon, which would defintiely put me off.
    Currently you either have to use a web browser to print. Either locally or using their cloud service. I'd rather just use some type of open-source program to print. This will eventually be fixed, but the cloud software is experiencing the growing pains of a new product. They are working on a cartesian to polar coordinate converter. Once that is done, we should be able to use any software we choose.

Concerns:
    I'm not sure if the polar coordinate system is as accurate as the cartesian system. For curved objects it is probably better. But I tend to print project enclosures (things with straight edges), not models. Sometimes there is a slight, very slight, wave in a straight edge that seems to be an artifact caused by the build plate rotating. Maybe my printer isn't calibrated quite right?
    The robo is essentiall an i3 prusa with an enclosing frame.
    Wide selection of different opinion reviews on amazon. Which doesn't help much lol

I think personally out of the two I'd go for the robo. Mainly because of the sharp angle printing and no limitation on software and a much bigger print volume.
    That said I've just reada lot of realy negative reviews. So would most likely buy a wanhao duplicator i3 instead and use the extra money to buy a load of pla :-)
    http://wanhaousa.com/products/duplicator-i3-steel-frame
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-16-2015 at 06:05 AM.

With the printer you showed, the duplicator i3, am i able to use an open source program such as Cura to slice and use models on the printer?

nvm i found on the website that it is able to use that, thanks for the recommendation! Ill consider it :-)

Technician
    I went over and looked at this wanhao company and they have some nice printers. Im looking for
    a good one with a pretty large print area and this company seems to be doing things right.
    Looks like they can print with lots of the filaments out there and can change their heads for
    different filaments and the usnits look built well. Some of large print area machines Ive been finding
    seem to be flimsy. Im looking for something proven and keeps working.
    Im also looking at the BigBox on Kickstarter and I like the idea that they can use any filament
    on the market. They can change their heads out and they have E3D as a partner with them.
    I think they may be setting new standard when they hit the market in Dec of this year looks
    like. They have a pretty large build area too.
    Last edited by spaceman; 07-18-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    I went over and looked at this wanhao company and they have some nice printers. Im looking for
    a good one with a pretty large print area and this company seems to be doing things right.
    Looks like they can print with lots of the filaments out there and can change their heads for
    different filaments and the usnits look built well. Some of large print area machines Ive been finding
    seem to be flimsy. Im looking for something proven and keeps working.
    Im also looking at the BigBox on Kickstarter and I like the idea that they can use any filament
    on the market. They can change their heads out and they have E3D as a partner with them.
    I think they may be setting new standard when they hit the market in Dec of this year looks
    like. They have a pretty large build area too.
    As you mentioned large build area, E3D print head, filament compatibility, solid printer body,
    I recommend you Fullscale XT Plus,
    it is a large build size printer at 260*260*300 mm,
    dual all metal 300 degrees extruders (similar to E3D V6),
    full steel enclosed printer body.

If you are a green hand of 3D printing,
    it might cost you some patience about plate calibration at the very begining,
    but once you get the point, you are on a highway to funny printings!
    Last edited by Magicolor; 07-23-2015 at 03:50 AM.