Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

3D printer for business startup

Hi, I have planned a business where my market are primarilly architects, architect students and prototypes. The business location is in Honduras capital Tegucigalpa M.D.C.

I'm looking for a printer easy to use that I can tell how much plastic I have expended. The reason I chose plastic (PLA), because its filament costs 20$ and 1L of resin is 145$. The students and architects aren't expected to have much budget for each printing project.

The plan is to buy two to four 3d printers. A mix is possible, the reason jewelry isn't in the plan is because, market research showed that jewelry industry imports its designs and doesn't make its own.

3D printer price isn't important, but its materials are. I have looked into Witbox, Form 1+ (de-qualified since Resin was too expensive), Leapfrog Xeed and Makerbot Replicator.

The compatibility with AutoCAD autodesk is very desirable since its the most popular architecture program in my city.

What kind of printer would you recommend for this type of startup?

Hi compatibility with autocad has nothing to do with the printer, only with the slicer. And since you will have to export as STL, this is a moot point.

Instead of having us make the choice for you, I suggest you go to 3DHubs and have owners of such printers do a couple test prints for you so you can judge the quality 1st hand. Won't cost you much and if you're asking nicely they may let you come in and look.

Since you're looking for a professional activity, I suggest you look at companies renowned for their support and who have spares listed.

I would not suggest Makerbot... but that's just my opinion, the articles on them are terrible. You can get a look in this forum on their subthread.

Have a look mat this thread at the FlashForge Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ge/UzhOJAcXATk

Printed half on a Flashforge Creator X, half on an Airwolf. And the result is amazing.

hi, do you have any requirements on the build volume?
    To be honest, I also don't recommend Makerbot and Cube, you can check their online store or Amazon, many users complain about the user experience.
    If in small size, Up plus is not a bad choice; If in big size, for now I have no experience to share.
    By the way, Flashforge is a good copy of Makerbot, if you insist on Makerbot, maybe you can consider Flashforge as well, after all, their printer is much cheaper.

big size printer

I found one big size printer, Mankati, anyone know this brand?
    I checked their website which looks not bad, www.mankati.com, looking for some suggestions ....

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    If you're planning on printing buildings - then a decent build volume is a good idea.

Budget is also important as fdm printers vary from $400 up to almost $20,000

Makerbot are expensive and the current 5th gen, get nothing but bad reviews. Avoid.
    Likewise cubes seem to always have someone complaining about them.

There are a lot of decent printers available - BUT ideally you want one that's sold and shipped from within your own country.
    Stops import tax and massive postage bill. And if you have any problems you can get hold of the seller.

Hi Victor,

Software compatibility would never be a problem.
    The thing is what type of business you plan to run? selling prints, or selling printers?
    If you want to sell printrers, I suggest you start with small and cheap printers.
    If you plan to sell printing service, well, that would be another story.

Ezio

**forum! wait ** 10 minutes but can't reply Ezio directly.Ezio, I think Victor explain the printers are wanted to realizing some design for architects.Just bit confused why Victor concerns so much on cheap material. You can charge more on Form+1 printings, no one will complain it.Maybe a mix like this could be good: 1.a delta model2.a makerbot(I hate their staff, I'm think maybe they are robots) or Ultimaker or Zortrax or some Chinese model Flashforge, Mankati whatever.3.Form+1 I can post pictures to show you how perfect it is, I love it!

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    Hi Victor! I would also not recommend Makerbot since it receives many negative reviews from the users. What I use is Flashforge. Flashforge is like Makerbot but the output product is great. Hope this helps!

Engineer-in-Training
    Since PLA, an open printer would allow the build to be watched. So the Wahao printers would also be good, and they have a tall one that would be good for tall architectural models:

www.wanhao3dprinter.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast