Close

Makerbot helping with prosthetics

I thought this was awesome. Makerbot really does seem to care:

When we first learned about Robohand, a super-affordable 3D printed mechanical hand for those born without fingers, we knew we had to get involved.
    So we donated two MakerBot® Replicator® 2 Desktop 3D Printers to Robohand cofounders Richard Van As and Ivan Owen so that they could rapidly prototype and improve their design. For the past year, Robohand has been bringing inexpensive and easily customizable mechanical hands to disabled people in need all around the world.
    Starting today, our friends at Adafruit are joining the movement to distribute the Robohand. Make The World: Prosthetics is a month-long program aimed at crowdsourcing the manufacturing and delivery of the Robohand mechanical hand. Hosted by Adafruit’s Limor Fried, Matt Griffin and Phillip Torrone, the program will tap Adafruit’s Makers, Hackers, Artists and Engineers Community, encouraging members to post how they can help, suggest people in need, and post pictures of their Robohand builds.
    The program kicks off tonight at 8pm EST on Google Hangout. Visit Adafruit for a full schedule of events.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Makerbot has been doing this from the beginning, offering huge discounts to schools to teach with, and I think this is the second or third time they've been involved in something like this.

I love the fact that they do this kind of thing. The future of medicine and schooling will certainly be built around 3D printing. My kids will probably learn more in school about 3D printing than they do about computers in general.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobysOne View Post
    I love the fact that they do this kind of thing. The future of medicine and schooling will certainly be built around 3D printing. My kids will probably learn more in school about 3D printing than they do about computers in general.

This is very true, I'm not sure how old you are but being seventeen myself, and a Jr. in High School, what I learn in the Tech Lab is most often based around the two Makerbots we have. Although, that might be because I'm one of the maybe five or less people who are good with the printer. Other than my boss, the tech instructor, I'm probably the most knowledgeable person about the Replicator 2 in my school. And I just might be the most knowledgeable about the Replicator 2X because I'm the only one working with it besides the instructor.