Close

Extruder motor won't drive while printing

So I have a LDM printer setup with a Rambo 1.3 board running Marlin firmware and Repetier host. I essentially built and setup the printer from the bones of an older, obsolete printer and I have everything setup except the extruder motor will not drive while it is printing. The printer does not have a hot end or heated bed, and I think somewhere in the firmware or settings there is an error not allowing it to print due to the thermal settings, but that is just my best guess. I can run the extruder manually using the manual control in Repetier, so I know everything is connected at least.

So far I have:

Disabled the temp sensors in Marlin by setting #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 0 for all thermistor inputs.
    -Edit: I used a resistor connected to the thermistor to fool the printer into thinking the 'hot end' is at 189.4 C (hoping to fool it into thinking it is PLA), making the 0 a 2 in the above code

Set the minimum temp for the prevent dangerous extrude to 0 #define #define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 0
    -Edit: This was set to 180

Set the "Default Extruder Temperature" to 0 in the print settings in Repetier
    I have tried to connect the thermistor to the board, but for some reason when it is connected the motors for all the axes don't receive any signal.
    -Edit: This was also set to 180.

Edit: It does run the retract and extra length on restart settings while trying to print. It just doesn't run the extruder motor while it is executing a print job
    Thank you,

-Nick
    Last edited by Ncinquanti; 07-13-2015 at 02:17 PM.

You are correct, I think most Marlin and other firmwares have the requirement that extruder temp exceeds 150°C to start extrusion. The motor is blocked until then.
    I don't know how to bypass that.

I got it to work. The filament diameter setting was not correct since I was not using a normal plastic filament. Thank you for the reply