Close

Banned

NextEngine hardware and software

Hi, does anyone have experience with NextEngine?

It looks to be a pretty high quality machine, I just read someone that after you buy the hardware you need to spend another 2-3 grand on software just to get the maximum usefulness out of it.

I don't mind doing the software purchase at a later time, I just need to know that if I get the standard scanner for 3k now, that I can still export STL files with the basic included software.

Technician
    Have a look at the David SLS-2

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    Would agree the SLS-2 is a more versatile scanner for the money.

I'd personally only be interested in the NextEngine to have access to the Rapidworks software. It's potentially far more powerful (for reverse engineering) than anything else you can get for the money.

Banned
    lots of good reviews on the david sls 2, it is also 3000 dollars. How does it compare to the nextengine, is the nextengine a more evolved software package? What softwares are available for the david sls2?

I am just doing reading right now, I want to figure out what scanner/software package is best for me.

Thank you

Technician
    The SLS-2 comes with David's own scanning software including Fusion which basically fuses the individual scans into a complete 3D model. If you want to do HD with the NextEngine it's yet another grand for more software.

David has their own turntable which is about the same price as the one NextEngine offers if you want to get a little more automatic and pay an extra grand on top of everything else. Otherwise you have to manually rotate the object. I just use a cheap lazy susan and rotate the model myself for each scan.

I believe structured light is also a lot faster scan than laser. After the scan is complete it's your choice on the scan to cad software if you are going to do reverse engineering. There are a few... Rapidworks, Geomagic, etc which is just as much or more than the actual scanners.

There is a little more rigor with structured light scanning in terms of calibrating, using the calibration panels, etc but it's really not that big a deal.

If you are going just from scan to print there are a lot of free tools for cleaning and fixing so David is all you need to do hi-res scans.

I've never used a NextEngine but I was down to two choices, that or the SLS-2. I went with the SLS-2 and I'm pleased with the results. Actually I just bought the David software and pieced out the hardware myself. Basically the same exact thing as the SLS-2 with a couple of minor differences. Saved a ton of money too.

No matter what system, unless you are willing to drop $30k + it's not plug and play. Like 3D printing, scanning is a bit of an art and depending on the object, it can take some prep work and post processing that can add up to quite a but of time.

Banned
    thanks dklassen, I am willing to learn. I am used to the rigorous learning curve of 3D printing and firmware enhancements and hardware tuning. I am ok with that. I just want to be able to perform reverse engineering, via CAD after I acquire a point cloud or STL. I really want to be able to speed up the parametric modeling process of a solid once the STL is acquired. I know this requires some experience with using the software, which I am willing to learn. I just need to know which platform is best for me. Nextengine or David. And honestly, I am still 50/50 at this point.

What are the drawbacks of structured light vs nextengine I think, laser.

Banned
    I am really liking the auto align feature in the david software, I am watching the tutorials on youtube. I want to say, at first pass glance, the structured light scanner can capture textures that laser cannot.