Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer
    They are robust in general, cheap delta built with thin arms are fragile. You need 3 good tower axis and you're ready to roll.
    It's like having a cartesian printer with poor frame that leads to vibration and other annoying thing.

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    They are robust in general, cheap delta built with thin arms are fragile. You need 3 good tower axis and you're ready to roll.
    It's like having a cartesian printer with poor frame that leads to vibration and other annoying thing.
    I'd feel more secure if the the delta's guide rods weren't part of the load bearing structure i.e. have a sturdy latticed metal frame that hole the guide rods. Way more stable...

Senior Engineer
    CoreXY and bowden extruders are as fast as you can get because there is very little weight in the hot end.

That lack of weight alone makes it worthwhile if you need to print fast.

I have a delta-style printer and it is excellent. Unfortunately my printer is not yet available in the US - I got mine because I joined an early adopter program. Here is the web page for my printer: http://www.atom3dp.com/en/atom2/#top

Delta's have some distinct advantages over Cartesian designs: (1) generally faster printing because they typically have lighter printheads (less moving mass); (2) larger print volume, particularly in the vertical dimension, (3) simpler control electronics becuase there are only 4 limit switches, (4) require less desk space, and (5) they are incredibly cool to watch while printing.

I agree that many delta printer designs are insufficiently robust, which is why I chose the Atom2. It is very well constructed and quite sturdy. The Atom2 also does truly automatic bed leveling which I think any printer should do.

It is true that a delta printer's firmware is more complex than that of a Cartesian design; with a delta there really are no X, Y, and Z dimensions - even though that's what they are called. The printer firmware makes all the necessary calculations to generate proper 3D moves for the printhead, and I have never had a single problem with this.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    I'd feel more secure if the the delta's guide rods weren't part of the load bearing structure i.e. have a sturdy latticed metal frame that hole the guide rods. Way more stable...
    That is because of the designs and price resulting. No one will ever stop you from wanting to add extra arms as structure.
    It's just they want to sell a cheap product.

http://thingiverse-production-new.s3...w_featured.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12