Quote Originally Posted by rylangrayston View Post
"It could simply be a question with laser power, spot size, layer numbers, and print time. If you print it slow and take your time it may come out better?"

yes longer print times small spot sizes and slower laser seems to help, but more than 100 layers per mm dosent seem to make any difference.
No matter what settings I use there is often some subtle oscillation leaving rings on a print, it seems to happen with a period of about 50 layers.
You can see it in this rocket, pronounced near the tip.

Attachment 6564

more layers per mm probably would eliminate the patters you can see on the tops of each stair here( altho you cant see these with just the human eye) :
Attachment 6565

my latest Theory's are things to do with the way resin flows during the print, as well as how air may be affecting the surface of the resin.
Im coming up with test prints that can help support or disprove what I think is happening. I feel like we are very close to really nailing perfectly glossy prints( as far as the human eye is concerned).
If it truly was surface tension on the print layer, one would need to explain why a straight column prints so well.

It has to be something, especially if it is evenly distributed along the print. I'm thinking software or physical/mechanical. I would see if you can line up those errors with a video of the print and see if you can spot them as they are being made.

I would also check for linearity over the print surface. Maybe the column has no variations over its height and doesn't suffer from nonlinear effects as much.

Also see if you can print different shaped columns and see where the boundary is between glassy smooth and beginning to get rough.

-UD