Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Peachy Printer Founder

How many little drone blades can you print with 1 liter of resin - Take a wild guess

in update #54 we talked for the first time about what it costs to print things.

I have to admit Im shocked at how low cost hollow objects are, and that got me thinking, just how many of those tiny drone blades from update #51 could we print with 1 liter of resin.
    So today at work I got a bunch of our employees to guess just for fun. Now its your turn:
    No prizes here, if you guess the closest you just win the funny dance that no one (accept the NSA) will ever see you do at your computer

How many drone blades would you have if an entire liter of resin was cured into these drone blades?

guess.jpg

Ill come back with the answer in a few days
    and we can all enjoy that moment where math informs our intuitions.

Happy guessing!
    Last edited by rylangrayston; 07-06-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    I'm guessing about 260. I think the rotor would be 3-6g and I dont know how many ml of resin make a g but I'm guessing it's pretty close to 1:1 because it sinks in fresh water but floats in salt water call it 1100g per L

I think its lower...maybe 1,5g ... so i guess you can get 700 rotors for 175 Quadrocopter

554 exactly; just because.

Technologist
    A gram is a cubic centimetre of water. The resin is much the same density as water. I'm pretty sure that the volume of one of those propellers is significantly less than a cubic centimetre. I'm going to bet on 2048 micro propellers.

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    Hmm... I think you're closer, Slatye.

I guessed that the prop is about 3-6g but it really does not look like it's 3-6cc in volume. I'm not sure I'd say <1cc maybe 2-3cc

Engineer-in-Training
    my guess is 1,600

Technician
    my wild guess for the props count is 1850 (guessing just over half a gram in the prop)

Technician
    based on the size of the rocket that you said you could print 900 of.... i'm going to say 3500 props.

Didn't he say 35 or 36? I think it was somewhere along the lines of 1$ 32 cent a piece or something

Edit:
    scratch that, he said 37 rockets on 1l resin costing 1$ 62c a piece

2nd edit:
    After loading up the model and assuming resin weight of 1050g/1 l
    I'll say you can make 205 of those propellers.
    Apparently the model is 5.11cm^3
    Last edited by Peredv; 07-09-2015 at 05:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast