Close

Close to finishing my home first home built printer.

I have owned a bfb 3d touch ( now 3d systems) for two years and recently acquired a 5th gen maker bot. I decided both printer had good and bad points but decided I wanted to build a printer with more options and flexibility for the future. My goal is now coming close to finishing. Here's what I have..

550mm x 550mm x 550mm server cabinet with glass door and remove able side panels. ( I cut the top off)
    Smoothie-board for 5 stepper motors. 1 x axis X, 2 x axis Y, ( using breakout pins and separate motor driver in series due to both motors requiring 1.68amp each smoothie driver only supports 2 amps ) 1 x axis Z and x2 extruders.
    Bull dog xl extrudes 3mm filament x2
    e3d v6 hot ends
    230 volts keenovo 300mm x 200mm silicone heat pad fastened to 396mm x 296mm toughened glass bed and a cirrus 60 chamber heater also mains voltage controller by a separate relayed whilli controller. Bed gets to 110c in 2 minutes and air/chamber temp is maintained at 65c within 5 mins.

all protected with a RCD MCB

build platform using both extruder is 280mm x 280mm 260mm

electronics all under a false bottom also housing 2 turntables for filament (Bowden tube fed ) as above bulldog xl direct.

windows 8.1 10 inch tablet built into door ( integrated camera and obviously remote connection)

i am now doing some fine tuning befor attempting my first prints.

any suggestions on controller/ slicer software. Thoughts please.

sounds like its going to be a nice build! I'd like to see a pic when its finished I like the server cabinet idea. I see your using your smoothieboard in the same configuration as me 1x X, 1x Y, 2x Z linked and 1x E .how are you going to attach the 2nd Extruder?

for software .. I've tried KISSlicer, sic3er and cura ... Cura looks nice and has some nice features but I prefer Slic3r there's a new version just released, I just make g code then use the network interface on the smoothieboard to do the printing, but I will be looking at octoprint for my new printer, it runs on a rasberrypi or a computer and lets you monitor and control your printer from anywhere.

zx

Banned
    pics plz...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Some pics will post more
    Attached Images Attached Images

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Additional images in build
    Attached Images Attached Images

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Without the top on and a side panel removed