Close

Faster Prints -5th gen Z18

Hi guys,

So I'm looking for some suggestions. We do a lot of very large prints on our Z18. We design aftermarket auto parts and use our printer all the time to verify fitment of the part on the cars. The majority of our prints are 20+ hours long. I will attach a link to some pictures for reference.

I'm looking for some ways we can shorten the print time. We are not concerned about smooth surface finish or anything like that, as our tolerances are typically +/- 1mm. From what I've found so far there's two options. Increased layer height and faster feed rates.

Our layer height is currently 0.3, which I've heard is the maximum you can do with the stock 0.4 nozzle. Ive found a 0.6 nozzle online and my assumption is that this larger nozzle would allow us to do 0.5 layer heights, making the prints much faster. Are there any other larger nozzles out there or anything like this that would allow us to do larger layer heights? Are there any issues that could arise with using a larger nozzle and larger layer heights?

As to the second possibility, feed rates, I've been increasing them a little bit at a time. I can post up my latest profile if anyone wants to take a look at it. What are some fast feed rates you have used successfully on the 5th gen machines?

Are there any other options I'm overlooking?

All feedback is welcome, and I appreciate you taking the time to read this. Thanks!

Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/72009837@N02/BoATY7
    Attached Images Attached Images

Decreasing infill and shells are the surest way to shorten your print times!

I usually print at 0% infill on the Z18. I'm impatient!

Quote Originally Posted by MBSupport View Post
    Decreasing infill and shells are the surest way to shorten your print times!

I usually print at 0% infill on the Z18. I'm impatient!
    Tis very true. Depending on the function of our printed piece we will vary the amount of shells / amount of infill. Sometimes we just need the extra strength because of the design of the part or how it assembles. Thanks for the reply!