Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

resin and sunlight/uv light?

So Peachy uses an uv sensitive resin. Would a little sunlight affect the 3d prints?

Super Moderator
    I would expect that printing in direct sunlight would have unfortunate effects on the printing.

Technician
    I mean after printing, will keeping the printed objects under sunlight damage them?

Engineer-in-Training
    If you under cure an object to get flexible properties from it, perhaps. But I think that once the print is complete, all the curing that is going to happen has happened.

You can finish the cure with UV light.

It will not damage them, but if the curing is not completed, it might get completed.

If you want flex, use flexible resine.

Student
    Hi there

The Form1 and the Solidator both house the print area and resin in an orange tinted enclosure. Why is that not required by the Peachy?

Thanks

Mike

Engineer-in-Training
    Because by not shipping it with a set enclosure, you get to select the enclosure you wish to use. The others have laser protective cases, I think. The peachy ships with laser goggles, which is a much better solution.

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    Sorry if this was answered and I didn't understand... Assuming you are wearing goggles and the printer itself is mostly uncovered as we see in the videos and things; will ambient light in a room spoil the print? Do you need to print in a darkroom or would printing out of direct sunlight be sufficient?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chayat View Post
    Sorry if this was answered and I didn't understand... Assuming you are wearing goggles and the printer itself is mostly uncovered as we see in the videos and things; will ambient light in a room spoil the print? Do you need to print in a darkroom or would printing out of direct sunlight be sufficient?
    Given that they're filmed the printing, or at least brief clips of it in action, I don't think ambient light has any meaningful effect on the prints, at least not at the current detail/size levels. Might become relevant with very large (and thus long) and/or extreme resolution prints though.

What happens if you try printing in sunlight might be something for them to test with one of their "what happens if..." column prints, though I'm not so sure that a real test of that would be possible this time of year. I live not far (couple hours drive) from the peachy printer guys and we really don't get much UV light this time of year.

Staff Engineer
    Like Compro said, they clearly had enough light to film the process for their videos, so it's certainly possible to print in moderate light. I would suggest a dark room or a uv-protective hood for any long prints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast