Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Actually you generally have 3 choices.

3) go on youtube and watch a video on how to convert your drm machine to opensource filament. Pretty much all the desktop systems have been 'jailbroken' as it were.
    In some cases you can actually print a little doohickey that reroutes the filament from a standard spool through the propriatary cartridge - I think I saw that on a davinci printer of some description. In others you might have to hack the cartridge itself. But there are a lot of ingenious people out there who spend a lot of time on this sort of thing.
    Sure, but is there a quantifiable gain justifying such efforts ??? I wouldn't think so.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep you pay a lot less for your filament and have a much greater choice.

Where's the issue ?

yep you pay a lot less for your filament and have a much greater choice.

Where's the issue ?
    I'm sorry I was unclear. Yes, modding the printer to buy non proprietary (cheaper) filament, I can totally get. But I don't understand buying a printer limited to proprietary filament in the 1st place. If you intend to mod it for non proprietary filament, why not save the effort and buy something you don't need to mod straight away ? Thus my remark.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Actually you generally have 3 choices.

3) go on youtube and watch a video on how to convert your drm machine to opensource filament. Pretty much all the desktop systems have been 'jailbroken' as it were.
    In some cases you can actually print a little doohickey that reroutes the filament from a standard spool through the propriatary cartridge - I think I saw that on a davinci printer of some description. In others you might have to hack the cartridge itself. But there are a lot of ingenious people out there who spend a lot of time on this sort of thing.
    But, that option simply feeds their coffers. You have to buy the machine to jailbreak it and that puts money in their pockets and voids your warranty so they don't have to support it. That is a win for them as well. The only way they will change is when they see enough revenue walking away to buy competitor's machines. That is how you change their minds.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    A DRM based printer is usually FAR cheaper than a non DRM one, or at least thats the theory. The manufacturer then makes up the difference selling ink... errr... filament.

For the XYZ, flashing it over is fairly easy. Firewall the software and hardware, revert the firmware, use a flash chip to use any filament you want. Once you have the chip, 30 minutes at worst.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Yep as marm says - drm based machines are often dirt cheap and decent kit.

So in some circumstances buying and jailbreaking is a good option.

And technical support. Has anyone ever got any joy from technical support for a cheap desktop 3d printer ?
    These days it's pretty much forums and DIY that get the job done.

Rylan at peachy printer isn't even considering it. As the above methods are usually quicker and cheaper for the user.
    That said he's in a pretty unique situation.

But as most cheap printers in the uk are made in china - shipping back to the manufacturer isn't a sensible option. So diy is where you tend to look first.

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    A DRM based printer is usually FAR cheaper than a non DRM one, or at least thats the theory. The manufacturer then makes up the difference selling ink... errr... filament.

For the XYZ, flashing it over is fairly easy. Firewall the software and hardware, revert the firmware, use a flash chip to use any filament you want. Once you have the chip, 30 minutes at worst.

And technical support. Has anyone ever got any joy from technical support for a cheap desktop 3d printer ?
    These days it's pretty much forums and DIY that get the job done.

Rylan at peachy printer isn't even considering it. As the above methods are usually quicker and cheaper for the user.
    That said he's in a pretty unique situation.

But as most cheap printers in the uk are made in china - shipping back to the manufacturer isn't a sensible option. So diy is where you tend to look first.
    I doubt that's true for the big names like Stratasys though. Their machines aren't cheap and sourcing components can be a nightmare if by passing correct channels. Not only that but using a non-brand filament causes further hassles due to the software (proprietry) and firmware (also proprietry) being non-adjustable.

Just what I've read, maybe I'm wrong.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    The manufacturer then makes up the difference selling ink... errr... filament.

Exactly what I said, sell you their machine (cheap) and then force you to pay their prices for filament. You buy a printer once but you buy filament (ink) over and over and over.

I am sure flashing it is easy enough. Not my point.

The only circumstance where that is a good option is if you didn't know what you were getting when you bought it and don't have another option than to keep buying their filament.

Any other circumstance its a poor option. Knowingly buying a DRM printer is akin to feeding the fire. You are giving a company revenue and they are seeing sales numbers. That means they will continue in their path because of the sales. Only when they see sales curtailed will they see reason and change their practices.

The only way to force them to change is stop giving them money. Buying their printer and jailbreaking it is feeding them. Stop feeding the parasite and it will die.

This DRM discussion is precisely why I chose a Taz 5. All of its hardware, all of its software, everything about the machine is open source. All of it. No secrets. Nothing hidden. Nothing proprietary. I chose to feed that company and reward them for good behavior. The only power we have as consumers is our wallet. Opening it and giving it to a company with poor behavior because you know you can get around their poor behavior is not helping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12