I was reading abut the XYZ Printing DaVinci models, when I saw a huge red flag: the writer said that one of these machines would "brick itself" if supplied with a third-party filament spool. Then I saw someone advertising filament spools with an RFID chip for compatibility with a particular (different) machine.

My question is, how common is it for printer manufacturers to build in an RFID system to force you to use their expensive filament by disabling the machine if you try to run competitors' filament? I absolutely will not - ever - purchase a machine that includes this limitation. A major justification (for me) for buying a machine is in the ability to make useful things from materials I could recycle - milk jugs, soda bottles etc.. - and being chained to one company's filament totally eliminates this.

So.. I ask all of you who have purchased printers - does yours accept any (chemically compatible) filament, or does your machine lock up if you use another brand, or unbranded filament?