Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer-in-Training
    With a license server you still have what's known as a Home Use License for each (network) seat. However, with a network license you have to contact solidworks to request the HUL serial number for your installation (using the network serial number will not work unless you have a VPN). In my case, I'm the only user, and the entire engineering department, network admin and IT department so I can do pretty much whatever I want with our license. If you work for a larger company you can request a HUL from your IT group (probably through your boss in the engineering department) but you may or may not get it especially if you don't have a legitimate work related need for it.

Technologist
    Ours is a rotating site (4 user) license, so you're saying we can have 4 HUL licenses?

I may be able to get one of the 4, if they don't cost extra. Do they need to be renewed? Go away if the site license is terminated?

Dassault Systèmes released all of the details for what they have in store for their popular SOLIDWORKS CAD and CAE program for 2016. The toolbars have been simplified, so rather than a massive tool bar, smaller object, tool, app or project specific toolbars will pop up with relevant tools, only when needed. There was also a robust upgrade to the simulation tools, which hopefully will eliminate the need to use multiple programs for a single project. They also added a whole bunch of new 3D printing tools like 3D printer batch pre-visualization, a preview of the printed models striation and a cost evaluation tool. You can find out more about the upgrade in store for SOLIDWORKS 2016 over on 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/107441/solidworks-2016/

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    My FIL purchased a copy of the prev. version and according to him the software is way too buggy. So in the end he lost ~5K (Don't ever expect to get your money back from Dassault) and wound up going with Pro/E. IMO, from what I've heard I would think twice before using Solidworks.

Pro-E become Wildfire became Creo. Years ago. And PTC imake awful software. Not a day goes by that I don't curse PTC...

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    So you would say that Solidworks, is less buggy then Pro/E ?

Absolutely.

Now, I am not saying that Solidworks is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    AutoCAD is a 2D drafting package. Don't understand how that could replace a 3D parametric solid modelling package...

However there other 3D parametric solid modellers:
    - Geomagic Design
    - Catia
    - Creo
    - SolidEdge
    - Inventor
    - NX
    - UG/Siemens
    - Spaceclaim

Those are the big names. The then are still Solidface, VariCAD, Moi3D, Rhino, Bricscad, Topsolid, etc, etc. (<-- some of these may not be parametric)
    CATIA ! CATIA ! CATIA !
    I love that girl.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    CATIA ! CATIA ! CATIA !
    I love that girl.
    Yeah Catia is awesome. Unbelievably powerful and the best there is.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    only the cheap versiona of autocad are 2d. The full fat version is full on 3d.
    At least that's what it says on the tin :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12