Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    Watch the video you linked. Pretty sure it says "Our Inventory".
    Ahh... I see that now. The gist of the commentary in the video is intended to be read as: "As users we see this... or we do that... to our models... to our simulations." We'll try to make the commentary more clear in future videos.

As far as I know I can't repair the video without breaking the link, but rest assured have no desire to claim ownership of any user's models.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    Any chance we are going to be able to upload file's larger than 3MB? :P
    How big of an STL file would you find useful?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    that does look like a very useful tool.

Not sure I understand a lot of the terminology as i never studied engineering.
    But I can test it to see if your program says a piece willl break when i destruction test it and it actually does break :-)

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    As CA said, I'm not familiar with a lot of the terminology, nor theory. Are there any good guides or tutorials for understanding the basics of what you have here? I mean, I think I know what I'm looking at, but I'm not totally sure what it's trying to tell me.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Well, I stood up and started throwing things around the room.

Ran 1 simulation on a design I had already deployed into use, and had noticed a delamination failure, I then had cobbled up a Hubblesque fix for it, and it's doing fine, but the amount of material I had to add to the design, post deployment, negated any weight and space advantages I had originally gained. The failure was mainly due to me designing to an absolute minimum, and not building in redundancy. If I had (and later versions do), I still would have had a weight advantage, but a much stronger piece.

Well, after running the simulation, it predicted a failure EXACTLY where the delamination had occurred, which is the dark red line on the near vertical post. I'm going to use this service again to pre-test any of my load bearing designs. If I had this service 6 months ago, Would have saved me quite a bit of headache.

ServoSledDeform.JPG

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Interesting stuff here, at least in my mind, lol.

After Noticing the fail point originally months ago, I extended (in design only, haven't produced yet) one of the support structures on the sled. Showed a noticeable reduction in stress points, aside from one particular location.

servosleddeformC.JPG

Extended that same structure even more, thinking it would eliminate that stress point. But even with doubling+ the support, it showed no noticeable improvement.

ServoSledDeformD.JPG

Interesting stuff here....

Thanks for the site guys, it's already helped a lot!

Are you obliged to have a 90 degrees sharp angle at this point ? If not, round off your corner, it will help.

Also note that "red" does not necessarily mean "bad". The legend simply maps the minimum stress value to blue and the maximum stress value to red. Compare the numeric value that corresponds to "red" in each of your designs to judge the amount of improvement/not.

We are happy to hear you've found it useful.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    Are you obliged to have a 90 degrees sharp angle at this point ? If not, round off your corner, it will help.
    Good point. Issue is a servo motor has to sit in that opening, so expanding the corner to round it without losing material isn't an option. But I'll play with it and see what happens.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Simulation "Simulation 1" was successfully destroyed.
    Cool way to phrase that lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast