Close

Technologist

Still the best bang for the buck?

So, I created a post in the marketplace looking to trade my rostock max v2 for the Creator Pro, but haven't received any offers, so I'm considering just buying one, and selling the rostock on Craigslist or something. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys would still purchase the Creator Pro today, or go a different direction after having owned the machine. I was also considering the Dreamer, but from what I've been reading, it sounds like the Creator Pro is the better choice between the two.

The Creator Pro has been available so long now, I figured there'd surely be something better by now for the price, but figured I'd ask those who own the machine.

I have the latest revision of the Creator X, the one that came out just before the Creator Pro. Differences are minor: the X has no hood or front door (I made my own) and the X has the old mobo. Would I buy a Pro or Dreamer? Definitely a Pro, I have heard of a lot of problems with Dreamer. Most of these come down to the closed source software being used opposed to any hardware issues.

Technologist
    I bought the FFCX rebadge from Monoprice when it was on sale for $700 (it's been on sale for that price again since).

AFAIC, that was the best value, esp since Monoprice provides warranty service and they are close in LA.

I was looking for compatibility with Makerware, cause my (brief) experience with other software involved a lot of failed prints and futzing around trying to get it to work.

Technologist
    Yeah, been reading about the annoyances with their software for the Dreamer. Shame, since I like the enclosure a lot more.
    I have some interest from CL for my printer, so might just wait and pick up the Creator Pro after mine sells. It'll give me time to research a bit more into what I can expect. The prints from my Rostock come out really nice, unmatched from a lot of machines, so I hope I'm not downgrading.

Engineer
    You should also take a look at the Powerspec 3D Pro. Its a Creator pro clone, for $800. Basically the same printer for much cheaper.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    You should also take a look at the Powerspec 3D Pro. Its a Creator pro clone, for $800. Basically the same printer for much cheaper.
    Not really a "clone" since it is made by FF. Rebadge is more descriptive.

Problem is, it has been out of stock every time I looked for it.

I bought a "Rebadged" unit from Monoprice. Currently $999.00, They seem to run a sale for $699.00 about every 3 months with free shipping.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

I am not a fan of the repG software and will most likely buy the Simplify3D. Been using Cura/Marlin/Ponterface on my Kossel (delta type) and am spoiled as to how easy it all works.

Technologist
    After having done more research, I think I might actually go with a Wanhao D4S instead of the FF. It comes stock with a glass bed, and from what I've read the FF's have a different heat bed, which had to have the firmware tweaked in order for it to work. Not sure if that's still a thing, but the Wanhao is also about $250 cheaper.

And I've actually already sold my Rostock, but a few things are still holding me back. For one, I didn't initially consider that I'd be locked into the software. I've too been spoiled with my Rostock being able to use anything, and I've actually really been liking Matter Control. But I've been talking to the guys on the Google Groups, and I guess they don't find it an issue.
    Another thing is that it wouldn't be easy to install say an E3D hotend to print nylon or other such materials. There's someone working on parts for an E3D hotend, but by now there should have been MANY solutions, and it worries me that there aren't.
    Then there's just the fact that it's a pretty outdated design. I can't believe there aren't better printers out there for the price. It's been long enough for there to have been some real competition.

In any case, I'll probably still go for it. There are pros and cons to them all, and the D4S / Creator Pro seems solid enough. If only the Lulzbot Mini had a larger bed by 2 in^2, I'd prefer it for the auto bed leveling, better hotend, and software choices.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by robosmith View Post
    Not really a "clone" since it is made by FF. Rebadge is more descriptive.

Problem is, it has been out of stock every time I looked for it.
    Not sure if you have a MicroCenter around where you live, but they always have it in stock near me there. No waiting to ship or anything.