Close

I'm Really Confused

I have a 3D printer that I want to install a new electronics package in. I decided to go with the Rambo 1.3 board. This board says it can use 12 or 24 volts. My questions are: What voltage should I run? What power supply is recommended? And what motors will work with this? There are many different options that are specified to different voltages and I am unsure about what motor to run. I think 12v should be enough because I am not adding a heated bed (LDM). Does this mean I need motors that are rated to 12v?

I was going to buy this board:
    https://ultimachine.com/content/rambo-13

With these motors:
    https://ultimachine.com/content/kysa...-stepper-motor

Will this work?

-Nick

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    The push for 24V is usually a large heated bed; at 24V half the current is required to handle the same power dissipation in the bed.

No, you do not need motors rated for the power supply voltage. Motor drive is managed by the current limit settings on the stepper motor drivers on your electronics. You should have no issue using the Kysans with 12V fed to Rambo.

Awesome! Thank you. What do you recommend for a power supply (Amps/Watts)? 12v will be enough for what I am doing.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    There's generally two common paths people follow for 12V power supplies in this range. Some reuse an extra ATX computer power supply they have laying around, wiring it so only the 12V outputs are used. The other common approach is to get a 12V 300W or 360W power supply. There are countless knock-offs of the MeanWell brand power supply units that are all identical in size and mounting, and can be found on sites like Amazon or eBay starting at around $20 USD. 24A or 30A is overkill for your printer without a heated bed, but you might find these are available cheaper than a less-common smaller amp power supply.

I don't have a RAMBO, but looking at the wiki specs it is fused at 5A for fans and misc, and another 5A for the motors. Based on that, you could get by with as small as a 12V 10-amp power supply.